$70.00 Over Median for WI....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$70.00 Over Median for WI....

Before I claim any expenses on the means test, I am over $70.00 for a family of 3 in WI. What are my chances of getting into a 7 vs 13?

Thanks!
    Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
    Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
    Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
    341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Before I claim any expenses on the means test, I am over $70.00 for a family of 3 in WI. What are my chances of getting into a 7 vs 13?

Thanks!
    I met with one attorney (first consultation!) on Wed. and for the last 6 months look back (July- Dec) we are over the median by $900ish. The attorney didn't seem to think that would be a big deal to overcome, BUT we'll be waiting it out a few months to let some "one time" income drop off which will put us under.

Would waiting a month or two bring you under??

Comment

Being eligible to receive a discharge in a Chapter 7 case... really has nothing to do with being over/under median. It is really about your income and expenses. I have seen under-the-median income cases get dismissed/converted because the debtor(s) had disposable income to support a Chapter 13.

Since you're "only" $70 over the median, I'd be worried more about your "allowable" expenses.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
        Being eligible to receive a discharge in a Chapter 7 case... really has nothing to do with being over/under median. It is really about your income and expenses. I have seen under-the-median income cases get dismissed/converted because the debtor(s) had disposable income to support a Chapter 13.

Since you're "only" $70 over the median, I'd be worried more about your "allowable" expenses.
        I am confused:

What do you mean by this:

"Since you're "only" $70 over the median, I'd be worried more about your "allowable" expenses."

The $70.00 is over the Median income for my state for a family of three. That is before I take off any amounts for expenses, real or fed/state allowed. I assume that after deducting allowed fed/state expenses that I should be able to qualify for a 7. Is that wrong?

Thanks!

No, income will not be changing. No raises but increases in Healthy insurance.
        Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke
          "Since you're "only" $70 over the median, I'd be worried more about your "allowable" expenses."
          The $70.00 is over the Median income for my state for a family of three. That is before I take off any amounts for expenses, real or fed/state allowed.
          Let me put it simply. Do not worry about the $70 being over the median income. You need to concentrate on your expenses and how your "bottom line" disposable monthly income is calculated on the Means Test.

Have you taken a sample Means Test? There's one at LegalConsumer.com.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I originally thought as well that if your under the median it doesn't matter, but it sure does. You cannot have much disposable income and file chapter 7 no matter how far under the median you are, you still have to show that you cannot pay your debt.
            Filed Chapter 7: 10/29/09 341 Meeting: 12/02/09
            UST involved: 12/12/09 UST out: 1/10/10
            Last day for objections: 2/01/10 Discharged: 2/8/10

Comment

Ahh, I think I get it now!

Example:

WI Median Income for 3 persons: $5500.00

Example income: $5000.00
              Less expenses: 500.00
              DMI: $4500.00

That would mean you would have top pay "even though you were under the median income". Is that right?

If I use the online means test I have -$122.00 DMI.
              Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.

Comment

That would mean you would have top pay "even though you were under the median income". Is that right?
                Yes, any disposable income over about $182.50/month is considered an abuse of the provisions of Chapter 7... and that the Debtor could fund a Chapter 13.

If I use the online means test I have -$122.00 DMI.
                This is good! You want that "disposable income" to be much less than $109.58 ($6,575/60) as possible.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X