Spending Money before Filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spending Money before Filing

I am keeping my expenditures to the basics in advance of filing, but I wondered if it would be OK to upgrade to an iPhone, and to gift a family member $50 in the month prior to filing? Fyi, my case will be a no asset case.

The iPhone purchase would probably show up on the ATT bill (not sure about this), and if so would not show as a debit card deduction on my bank account.

The $50 gift would likely show as a debit card bank transaction (I usually call in a gift card to a store local to the family member, and they go pick up the card). The family member lives in another city. It seems like such a small amount (and they got nothing for Christmas as I was researching BK and didn't know what to do in regards to gifts).

Would have posted this in the property transfer area but no activity there. :-). Thanks.

I don't think $50 matters in the grand scheme. Besides, it will show up as a retail store purchase, like say Target or BestBuy... wherever you purchase it from on your debit card.

As for the iPhone, you won't be able to "charge" that to your account. They'll ask you for your one-time charges to be paid up front (equipment, activation, etc). Are you getting teh 3GS or the 3G?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      I don't think $50 matters in the grand scheme. Besides, it will show up as a retail store purchase, like say Target or BestBuy... wherever you purchase it from on your debit card.

As for the iPhone, you won't be able to "charge" that to your account. They'll ask you for your one-time charges to be paid up front (equipment, activation, etc). Are you getting teh 3GS or the 3G?
      Wanted the one that has voice activation ... looking at 3GS 16GB for $199. Nothing's set in stone. If that would look bad, I could get the 3G 8GB $99 one now and then upgrade later?

Wanted to get it before filing, in case a Ch. 7 would make them reject me if I tried to get one post filing...

Comment

I guess I thought it would go on the bill as TMobile does allow current customers to pay for new phones over time on their monthly bill. I inquired about the new Google Nexus One, and they will put it on the bill at something like $20 per month. Nice phone, but based on research, I still want the iPhone. The only drawback with the latter is that they are still blocking Google Voice (big negative with me as I love Google Voice).

Wouldn't surprise me if ATT requires upfront payment.

Comment

AT&T and iPhone has caused many "policy" changes at AT&T. The devices are expensive (about $600 each). AT&T also doesn't offer any other services like insurance for theft or damage. I can't believe I have my iPhone, which I just got after Thanksgiving, and I don't have a contract on it! (Shhhh... don't tell them. I can upgrade already!)
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

AT&T and iPhone has caused many "policy" changes at AT&T. The devices are expensive (about $600 each). AT&T also doesn't offer any other services like insurance for theft or damage. I can't believe I have my iPhone, which I just got after Thanksgiving, and I don't have a contract on it! (Shhhh... don't tell them. I can upgrade already!)
            Not to get off on a phone tangent, but I looked at ATT's data plans and what they do is charge extra for every little service that you might want (like GPS navigation). On the Google Nexus One, you get all those goodies included in your monthly plan. I've read the iPhone WILL eventually allow a mobile app for Google Voice (it's wildly popular...how can they avoid it?).

No contract?? Hmmmm...They want me to sign up for TWO YEARS (for that cheaper purchase price).

Comment

Originally posted by ApresMoi View Post
              No contract?? Hmmmm...They want me to sign up for TWO YEARS (for that cheaper purchase price).
              Yes, I was lucky because I had some issues with swapping a phone and when they did that, the contract had to be removed. Shhhhh!

Comment

Yes, I was lucky because I had some issues with swapping a phone and when they did that, the contract had to be removed. Shhhhh!
                I'm green with envy.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X