Question about CA Exemptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about CA Exemptions

So it looks like any household item, furniture, article of clothing etc. that is worth less than $525 is exempt, and that I would list the civil code next to each item on the Schedule.

Can someone verify that I am interpeting this correctly? That the $525 exemption amount applies to each and every item that falls within that particular exemption category?

If so, that is going to free up a LOT of the Wildcard amount.

Also, would appreciate knowing if the Wildcard can be applied to ANY asset (mine are all household goods...I do not own real estate or other. My concern is one antique that has some value. The reason I ask is...

The Nolo books says antiques and collectibles (like musical instruments and heirlooms) can be the exception to the rule (of exemptions), but my impression is that the CA Wildcard can be applied to ANY asset, including an antique. Is this true? Or are antiques treated differently.

Thank you.

If you are using System II, then you get to use that $20,725 unused homestead exemption on any property.

If you were to re-read the NoLo guide, you'd see that it reads "[t]he kinds of property listed below are typically not exempt unless you use a wildcard exemption". Emphasis on the "unless"...
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      If you are using System II, then you get to use that $20,725 unused homestead exemption on any property.

If you were to re-read the NoLo guide, you'd see that it reads "[t]he kinds of property listed below are typically not exempt unless you use a wildcard exemption". Emphasis on the "unless"...
      Ok, thank you. I looked at that 'graph several times too...and missed that.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X