Passed means test - amazing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats!!!

Our attorney is borderline mill. But our case is also very easy so I was fine with it.
    attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
    no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
    341, 05/10/2010
    discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      I don't like mills either, but they serve a purpose for the "cookie-cutter" cases. However, not everyone understands whether their case is a cookie-cutter no-hassle, no-asset, no-problem type case.

I agree with you JB. You have gone to great lengths to make yourself familiar with the law and handle your own case. I appreciate the great advice and support you give folks on the site.

The unfortunate part of some of the mills is that they are dealing with folks that don't have enough money to retain a good attorney, and sometimes barely speak English. That's what I saw when I was in court that was so frustrating to me. I felt so bad for these people that got yelled at because all of their documents weren't completed properly, etc. etc.
      Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
      341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
      Discharged: 11/30/2009
      Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
        I'm in Florida. I'm way above the median income (at least 300% of median). Family of 4. High housing expenses. So far so good, but I am a "non-consumer" case.
        I was like you JB.

Non-consumer, way above median income 4X in my state.
        Discharged over 700K business debt and 300K federal and state taxes.

Done pro se. I also realized that you can even have disposable income in a non-consumer case.

Comment

Originally posted by biotechsolution View Post
          Done pro se. I also realized that you can even have disposable income in a non-consumer case.
          Absolutely! Because a non-consumer case can only be dismissed for cause (or "substantial" abuse). So ability to pay by itself, it not sufficient cause.

Originally posted by 2manybills
          The unfortunate part of some of the mills is that they are dealing with folks that don't have enough money to retain a good attorney, and sometimes barely speak English.
          I wholeheartedly agree. I was going to add to my prior posting that I don't like the mills that prey on the weak. I was going to spout off about "predatory" attorneys, but I don't really want to attorney bash. Sometimes the language barrier is just that... a language barrier and nothing nefarious.
          Last edited by justbroke; 04-27-2010, 05:27 PM. Reason: bad grammar!
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by 2manybills View Post
            I agree with you JB. You have gone to great lengths to make yourself familiar with the law and handle your own case. I appreciate the great advice and support you give folks on the site.

The unfortunate part of some of the mills is that they are dealing with folks that don't have enough money to retain a good attorney, and sometimes barely speak English. That's what I saw when I was in court that was so frustrating to me. I felt so bad for these people that got yelled at because all of their documents weren't completed properly, etc. etc.
            We had our 341 last Friday, and there was a young couple there that only spoke spanish. The Trustee called an interpreter service and the whole meeting was conducted over the phone with the interpreter repeating the Trustees questions, and then translating the answers back to him.

Interesting stuff !
            Marie

Comment

I was going to spout off about "predatory" attorneys, but I don't really want to attorney bash. Sometimes the language barrier is just that... a language barrier and nothing nefarious.[/QUOTE]

That's for sure! There are always those who prey on the weak, in every profession.

Comment

Originally posted by marie View Post
                We had our 341 last Friday, and there was a young couple there that only spoke spanish. The Trustee called an interpreter service and the whole meeting was conducted over the phone with the interpreter repeating the Trustees questions, and then translating the answers back to him.

Interesting stuff !
                They were doing that at ours too! I remember thinking if this attorney is there and by the way was handling about 4 cases per hour on the calendar, one would wonder why she would not be able to understand her own clients or have an interpreter there that was certified by the court.

Comment

Calgirl -

Are you in the Sacramento area by any chance? If so, I'm curious who your lawyer was. I'm in Placer County and trying to figure out which attorney to use. We have higher income like you, and high mortgage like you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X