X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can I surrender before the 341 meeting?

Last question for today, promise.

I haven't been able to find an answer for this in my reading either:

We filed our BK yesterday and stated we'd be surrendering our van. Can I proceed with the surrender now, before the 341 meeting, or must I wait until after it?

Our meeting isn't until March 2nd and I'd really love to cancel the insurance sooner than that and just get that part of everything over and done with.
    1/22/10 - filed Chapter 7 pro se
    3/2/10 - 341 meeting
    5/6/10 - discharged and case closed

Sure you can. Take the car to the bank and give the keys to a manager. Ask for a receipt.
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Before you cancel the insurance, make sure you are no longer liable if the car is involved in an accident before the bank transfers title. In CA you do this by filing a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability to make sure that you are not liable even if title isn't yet transferred. Is there something like this in your state? Or do you need to confirm the bank has transferred title before you are off the hook for damages if that bank manager you give the keys to goes for a joy ride and crashes into 10 cars.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks Lady In Red, I hadn't even thought of anything like that. I'll have to check.

Just didn't know if this period of time between filing and the 341 is a "hold" period - that van is now part of the bankruptcy estate and the trustee administers that, so I didn't know if I could go ahead and surrender the van until we officially meet with the trustee at the 341.
        3/2/10 - 341 meeting

Comment

As long as you're not using the van payment to pass the means test then you can go ahead and surrender it right now.
          4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
          5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
          7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
          7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Thank you for the help!
            3/2/10 - 341 meeting

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X