No announcement yet.

DELAY In refund? What does this mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never mentioned my refund on any of the bankruptcy forms. The trustee never asked about it. I was expecting it to be taken but somehow I slipped by.

Comment

Well, no one's answered yet, but I called the number provided on the "Check my refund" response online. After waiting on hold for 15 minutes, a guy answered and gave me the number to the IRS BK dept. Upon calling, the automated system basically shot me down saying do not call until 6-8 weeks have passed to check on your status.

I guess the next step is for me to contact the TT's office. It's only been a week so far so. I'm just wondering how long I should wait for a response before I need to call.

At this point, I think the IRS probably keeps the portion the TT says to give to him and then the IRS cuts me a check for the remaining balance?
      Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

Originally posted by CCsAreEvil View Post
        Well, no one's answered yet, but I called the number provided on the "Check my refund" response online. After waiting on hold for 15 minutes, a guy answered and gave me the number to the IRS BK dept. Upon calling, the automated system basically shot me down saying do not call until 6-8 weeks have passed to check on your status.

I guess the next step is for me to contact the TT's office. It's only been a week so far so. I'm just wondering how long I should wait for a response before I need to call.

At this point, I think the IRS probably keeps the portion the TT says to give to him and then the IRS cuts me a check for the remaining balance?
        I'm in the same situation (filed 4/15). I'm just planning on waiting and seeing what happens. From others who have posted here, they either send you your refund in full or send the whole thing to the trustee, then he/she sends you what's not exempt. Good luck! By the way, do you mind sharing the IRS BK dept. number?

Comment

Don't worry about it shooting you down. Still speak to a representative.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

We had our case discharged on Jan 11 2010. At that time our attorney told us that it appeared that we were going to get our refund. Well, needless to say, when my refund was to be deposited, it said there was a delay and to call a certain number ,yada yada, and I did, and it was the Centralized Insolvency Department. They informed that the TT intercepts the refund for fear that they won't actually get it. Anyway, that was back in March when the TT received it, and she just informed my attorney last week that we should be get back "a portion of the funds", an amount which I don't know. Then, my attorney said, once she disburses the funds, we will get ours as well. Should be soon I hope!

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
              Don't worry about it shooting you down. Still speak to a representative.
              Well, to do that, I'd need to lie and say "it's been over 6-8 weeks since I filed".

Anyways, I hope this is ok to post for those who asked. It "is" a public IRS number for bankruptcies: 800-913-9358. If this is against terms, I'm sure the mods will handle it.
              Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

I "lied" when I called because that is the only way to get through to a real person. They have the info you need and will tell you what they know.

Comment

Originally posted by CCsAreEvil View Post
                  Well, to do that, I'd need to lie and say "it's been over 6-8 weeks since I filed".
                  It's the only way to get through to a real person. Besides, you're a bankruptcy case. The 6-8 weeks is really for paper filers. If the system shows the ubiquitous status code, then they have your return and know what the problem is. The voice prompt is just to keep people that haven't had their return even entered into the system, from clogging up the phone lines.
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                  Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Finally called the IRS again. They said they started the process to re-route the refund to the TT. That's good, less stuff for me to deal with. I did receive my AZ refund in the form of a check.

I called the TT, and he asked for the amount I received from my state. It was under $200, but he still said to mail it to him. He stated he takes a portion of the "combined" refunds. He basically takes the date of file and divides by 365 to get an exact amount which he takes. The rest he will mail me a check for. At least I get something back. Hope this helps potential future readers/filers.

Comment

Just thought I would pass my scenario along...our check was re-routed from the IRS directly to the TT the beginning of Feb, check was received by TT on Mar 1, and I received a check today from the TT for our EIC and the 2months following our filing. I am so relieved to know that we are that much closer to being closed and it was quite nice to get a little of our refund. Just thought I would share our status. It took about 2 weeks from the time I called the IRS insolvency number for the TT to get the check.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X