Will they take my kids college fund?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will they take my kids college fund?

I have a no asset ch. 7 case but there is one area that is concerning me. I have 2 "College 529 Savings Plan" accounts for my kids with about 7K combined in them, however, I only contributed $1100 in the last 12 months to the accounts, the rest was contributed in prior years. The accounts are listed under my kids names and I am the custodian on the accounts, however, the accounts are reported under my social security number. Will the trustee consider this an asset of mine and take my kids college fund? I was told that the contributions made prior to 12 months before filing BK are protected, much like IRA funds are protected. Any advice?
    Chapter 7 Filed: 2/24/10
    341 Meeting: 3/23/10
    Deadline for Objections: 5/24/10
    Discharged and closed: 5/29/10

Originally posted by srjth View Post
    I have a no asset ch. 7 case but there is one area that is concerning me. I have 2 "College 529 Savings Plan" accounts for my kids with about 7K combined in them, however, I only contributed $1100 in the last 12 months to the accounts, the rest was contributed in prior years. The accounts are listed under my kids names and I am the custodian on the accounts, however, the accounts are reported under my social security number. Will the trustee consider this an asset of mine and take my kids college fund? I was told that the contributions made prior to 12 months before filing BK are protected, much like IRA funds are protected. Any advice?
    Our attorney said our kids' 529 accounts were fine. None of them are worth more than $1200, and we are custodians but the kids are named beneficiaries.
    Ch 13 filed 06/22/09. Dismissed,thankfully, 03/31/10. Ch 7 filed 06/28/10. 341 07/29/10. UST POA 08/06/10. UST mot to dismiss hearing extended to Dec...Feb...March...May...Aug. UST withdrawal of dismissal filed 05/31! DISCHARGED 07/12/2011!

Comment

Originally posted by olivies View Post
      Our attorney said our kids' 529 accounts were fine. None of them are worth more than $1200, and we are custodians but the kids are named beneficiaries.
      Thanks for answering. Same here, my kids are the beneficiaries as well, but my attorney wasn't quite sure what was going to happen with them. I have a disclosure from the company that holds the 529 account that said everything except what was contributed in the last 12 months will be protected.

I guess i'm mostly concerned that this $1100 will turn my case into an asset case and slow things down. I just want the discharge to come as quickly and smoothly as possible. I won't be able to relax until that happens.

Comment

You are the custodian on the accounts and, therefore, have access to the accounts to withdraw and deposit so the accounts are considered assets since they are for your minor children that you claim as dependents on your taxes. Discuss fully with your attorney because you have access to those funds no matter who is the beneficiary of the funds.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          You are the custodian on the accounts and, therefore, have access to the accounts to withdraw and deposit so the accounts are considered assets since they are for your minor children that you claim as dependents on your taxes. Discuss fully with your attorney because you have access to those funds no matter who is the beneficiary of the funds.
          See, this is where I am confused. I also have conventional savings accounts for my children in which I am the custodian (and a signer on) but those accounts are under my children's social security numbers so my attny said that those do not count as my assets. Is this not true?

here is an except from the disclosure the company who holds my 529 accounts provided. The company is located in Alaska:

"Creditor Protection

Federal law provides limited creditor protections
          based on the timing of contributions and the debtor’s
          relationship to the Beneficiary. Generally, contributions
          made to a debtor’s 529 Plan Account less than
          one year before the filing of a bankruptcy petition
          are included in the debtor’s bankruptcy estate and
          are not protected from creditors. Contributions made
          by a debtor more than one year before the filing
          of a bankruptcy petition are generally not part of a
          debtor’s bankruptcy estate, provided that the contributions
          are not deemed excess contributions or
          extensions of credit and the Beneficiary of the 529
          Plan Account is the debtor’s child, stepchild, grandchild,
          or stepgrandchild. However, for contributions
          made between one and two years prior to the filing
          of a bankruptcy petition, a maximum of $5,000 in
          contributions may be excluded from the debtor’s
          bankruptcy estate.
          There are federal standards for bankruptcy proceedings;
          however, certain bankruptcy and creditor
          protection laws rest with each state, and a state
          generally is permitted to adopt more stringent laws
          in this area. The Trust was established in Alaska and
          is to be interpreted in accordance with the laws of
          Alaska. Each Account is conclusively presumed to be
          a spendthrift trust. Alaska law is designed to protect
          Accounts from claims by creditors of the Account
          Holder or Beneficiary by making them exempt from
          such claims, except for contributions made after being
          in default of child support obligations for 30 days.
          As of the date of this Plan Disclosure Document, no
          court has ruled on matters involving this interpretation.
          The Trust _____makes no representations or warrantees regarding
          protection from creditors. You should consult a legal
          advisor regarding the application of this specific law
          to your particular circumstances and to determine
          how this protection may apply to your situation."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse