Discharged 3/24/2010 - Now the Work Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharged 3/24/2010 - Now the Work Begins

I haven't been very active in this forum because I'm not a bankruptcy expert - but I have received some solace knowing there are people "out there" who are going through this process. The 60 days seemed like an eternity and I had to turn over every last penny I had (tax refund and a little money I accidentally left in my account on the day of filing) - so I'm truly bankrupt!! But I'm DISCHARGED - but don't seem quite as happy as some of the people here - probably because I had to walk away from a very expensive business with essentially nothing and now I'm seriously underemployed (don't qualify for unemployment due to self-employment for past two years). Anyway, I'm grateful for everyone posting and wouldn't mind a "hamster dance". Now I have to get busy with my next two goals - getting a decent job and quitting smoking! Bankruptcy is a gut-wrenching process even when it's uncomplicated - I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But it is a path to living without debt, so it is a fresh start in that regard. Thanks to everyone - and if anyone has any words of wisdom about job-seeking or quitting smoking I'd welcome the input. Too bad this process doesn't end with a well-deserved "vacation" in a quiet place where we can lick our wounds and get pumped up for the challenges ahead!

Congratulations on your discharge. Hopefully thing will improve from this point!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Congratulations! Now you can move onto your fresh start! Good luck with your two new goals - quitting smoking and getting a decent job. I'm sure the hamsters will be along soon. Yea for facingfuture!
      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Congrats on your discharge. I am not qualified to give anybody advice, but I will share my experience on quitting smoking: I used welbutrin, it really helped, name brand is zyban, but generic is welbutrin. I also found it helpful to get support and encouragement from an online smoking cessation forum that you can check out here:

Oh, I smoked for 24 yrs, have been quit for 11 mo now.
        Filed CH7 Feb 12 2010
        341 March 18
        Discharged...May 18
        Awaiting closing...

Comment

Facing future, What state are you in? When you were working for yourself, did you get actual paychecks and w-2's?

The reason I ask is that in Florida all employees of a company that receive salary have to pay unemployment taxes. Even if you (the owner) are the only employee. If that is the case and you run out of work, you can file unemployment against your own business.

I know this for a fact in florida, because I just went thru a state audit reviewing our payroll and sub contractors to make sure we were paying all of the UC taxes owed. The only employees are the two owners who take a paycheck for a reasonable salary and recieve a K-1 for additional profit/loss.

Anyway, I specifically asked that question because the owners have no work, due to the collapse of the construction industry. The auditor replied that if you have been paying in and you no longer have work or salary, you can file.

Obviously they look a little harder at this, but don't just assume that if you are self employed you cannot file for UC.

Good Luck!
          Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
          Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
          341 - 2/12/2010
          Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X