top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I be responsible for the mortgage debt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I be responsible for the mortgage debt?

I just read on another thread something about a filer thinking his wife would end up responsible for their mortgage if he filed...

That made me wonder.. my husband is filing alone. The mortgage is in his name only. We are not reaffirming. Is this a situation where the mortgage will then fall on MY plate? I am not sure about the whole community property stuff... or does that even apply to this situation?

The attorney didn't say anything about it, but now I am wondering.
    Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
    Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
    Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
    Discharged 06/23/10

If the mortgage is in your husband's name, it wouldn't just become your debt. The issue many people are facing, in non-community property States or equittable distribution states, is that when both are listed on a mortgage/deed of trust and promissory note, then one spouse filing may leave the other spouse vulnerable to collection.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      If the mortgage is in your husband's name, it wouldn't just become your debt. The issue many people are facing, in non-community property States or equittable distribution states, is that when both are listed on a mortgage/deed of trust and promissory note, then one spouse filing may leave the other spouse vulnerable to collection.
      Hmm... I am listed on the mortgage as a "non-borrower" I believe but I am on the deed of trust.
      Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
      Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

I just double checked and I am indeed listed on the Deed of Trust along with my husband.
        Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
        Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

You should be on the Deed of Trust because you are married, and many States require this by law. However, you are not the borrower on the Promissory Note. So, you don't owe the lender anything.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
            You should be on the Deed of Trust because you are married, and many States require this by law. However, you are not the borrower on the Promissory Note. So, you don't owe the lender anything.
            Thanks JB
            Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
            Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

Mortgage Not Really A Mortgage

As most people understand it a mortgage is where you owe money on the house. They are wrong. The mortgage is the legal document that highlights who has ownership rights.

The NOTE is where the actual borrowing comes from. If you check your documents you will see both a mortgage and a note. In order to owe anyone any money your name must be on the note itself.

Comment

A mortgage is the document that secures a lien on the house, the note is the IOU and the deed cites ownership.

To make things more confusing, the mortgagor is the party that gives the lien on the property (the borrower) and the mortgagee is the party that receives the lien. (the bank) Most people think it is just the opposite.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X