Will I qualify as non-consumer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I qualify as non-consumer?

I am meeting with an attorney soon but thought I would get your advice. CT resident. The following are the facts:

Business Debts:
    300k left on loan to prior owner (principal and interest) personal guarantee
    142k fringe benefits/employment agreement to prior owner
    24k vehicle note
    60k left in lease payments for space we rent

Personal debts
    255k on home, 1 mortgage, house probably worth 20 k less than that
    42k left on boat loan (probably worth around that)

I have no other debt. Current on all payments but will fall behind on fringe benefits and loan repayment to previous owner.My questions are:
    1.) Would I count as a non-consumer, Ch. 7 case?

2.) Does the employment agreement benefits count towards the non-consumer number?

3.) Des the loan to prior owner count as non-consumer even though I made personal guarantee?

4.) Would I get to keep my house?

5.) Will I have to file BK for the business and personally due to the fact I made the personal guarantee?

Thanks!
    Last edited by paulywalnutz; 03-29-2010, 08:08 PM. Reason: Made post clearer

Originally posted by paulywalnutz View Post
    1.) Would I count as a non-consumer, Ch. 7 case?
    Yes.

2.) Does the employment agreement benefits count towards the non-consumer number?
    Is this an "operating" cost or some other liability that is a debt owed (such as payroll taxes that are in arrears)?

3.) Would I get to keep my house?
    If you can afford to, why not.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

THe Employment agreement consists of operatig cost benefits such as health insurance, dental, the use of 2 vehicles, gas, etc. which he receives. Thanks for your helpful replies.
      Last edited by paulywalnutz; 03-29-2010, 08:13 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

If the "employment" and "fringe benefits" to the prior owner is a "personal services contract", then that is a debt. I guess I'd refer to that $142K as a personal services contract.

With that, I think you're easily a non-consumer Chapter 7.

(Interesting though, that you can reject a personal services contract, but I don't know what that would do to the rest of your business or contract.)
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I knew I forgot something ...

I also have a separate LLC unrelated to this business of which I am a 50% partner. We have 122k left on note, note paid up to date and probably worth slightly more than note by about 20k. Can the debtor from my other business go after this LLC? Okay I promise I am done with questions. Thanks in advance to all who may answer.

Comment

Can the debtor from my other business go after this LLC? Okay I promise I am done with questions. Thanks in advance to all who may answer.
            I'm assuming that you mean creditor not debtor. It's not whether a creditor could get to that, it's whether the Trustee could, while acting in your shoes as a Member, get to any equity. It sounds complex, and is complex, but I offer no opinion on whether a Trustee has the energy to attempt to pierce the shield to get to the other LLC.

Comment

Yes I meant creditor. Thanks!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X