American Express Centurion Bank and Creditor Objections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Express Centurion Bank and Creditor Objections

American Express is luckily one of the few cards not involved in my bankruptcy. I had a green card as a younger man, but that had to be paid off each month and was before AMEX had revolving cards like the Optima.

I have been doing a lot of research lately in my area (middle district, FL, more specifically Tampa area) and have spent just a couple of dollars to see other people's cases on Pacer to see how long discharges are being entered on Pacer versus when their approximate 60 day periods were up.

One thing that I have noticed in nearly every case I have looked up is American Express seems to stand out in the "Request for Appearance" or "Request for Notification" areas of these folks....Of nearly all of the people I have seen, I have seen AMEX on there, sometimes as the only creditor making such requests, even though some of these folks owe mountains of debt.

My question: Is AMEX especially notorious for this behavior, and how aggressively do they object in cases compared to other banks or is it just protocol they follow for every single cardmember who files?

Glad I never got a revolving card from them!!!

The Request for Notice and Appearance really means nothing to your case. It's just a notification mechanism for AMEX's attorney. In a no-asset case, AMEX gets nothing. However, if the case is changed to an asset case, AMEX wants to be on top of any notifications that may come. It's just an efficient way for them to stay up to date.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      The Request for Notice and Appearance really means nothing to your case. It's just a notification mechanism for AMEX's attorney. In a no-asset case, AMEX gets nothing. However, if the case is changed to an asset case, AMEX wants to be on top of any notifications that may come. It's just an efficient way for them to stay up to date.
      Thanks, it just seemed like of the people I searched, sometimes the single, only creditor who had a request of Notice was AMEX, no matter how much they owed, and it seemed AMEX was notated nearly every case I looked at, so I assumed they just went ahead and put the notice in for every single debtor who had filed.

From reading on the forum it seems like they bring on law suits quickly too, to those who have not filed yet.

Comment

AMEX is one of the most sophisticated creditors when it comes to Bankruptcies. I think they use a single lawfirm out of Philadelphia/Pennsylvania area to handle this. That firm subscribes to the PACER notices and as soon as a case pops up, it matches the SSN and addresses and names with its internal database and automatically files the notices!

Efficient!
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

AMEX is one of the most sophisticated creditors when it comes to Bankruptcies. I think they use a single lawfirm out of Philadelphia/Pennsylvania area to handle this. That firm subscribes to the PACER notices and as soon as a case pops up, it matches the SSN and addresses and names with its internal database and automatically files the notices!

Efficient!

Wow, that is SUPER efficient. I have always heard that when people are past due they don't mess around..that they QUICKLY make phone calls and pursue legal action faster than most..now I see the connection with when someone files bankruptcy and all those Pacer Notices I saw...they just seemed so...AGGRESSIVE!!

Comment

What is Pacer?
            The reason I'm asking is that I 'm going to file for Bk but it is not
            anything to do with my credit cards which I pay in full every month.
            I was hoping that the only people who would know I'd filed were those I owe money to 'due on sale' of my home.

I have heard that if a cc checks your credit report routinely and sees a BK that they might cancel you even if you've always paid ibn full monthly for 100 years. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyquefour View Post
              Wow, that is SUPER efficient. I have always heard that when people are past due they don't mess around..that they QUICKLY make phone calls and pursue legal action faster than most..now I see the connection with when someone files bankruptcy and all those Pacer Notices I saw...they just seemed so...AGGRESSIVE!!
              They are so efficient... check this out.

Before filing, AMEX was my largest creditor. I had close to $100K in credit lines with AMEX. No issues whatsoever. However, upon filing, two mystery AMEX accounts show up from over 20 years ago! Yes, over twenty (20) years ago.

So funny, that I motioned to expunge the 2 claims that were filed by AMEX and the Judge laughed. She told me to not expunge them since they'll be "discharged" anyhow. I claimed I never knew of these accounts and/or they were paid over 20 years ago. Strange that AMEX would let me have $100K in current credit lines yet these accounts were uncollected?

Now... that is efficient!

Comment

They are so efficient... check this out.

Before filing, AMEX was my largest creditor. I had close to $100K in credit lines with AMEX. No issues whatsoever. However, upon filing, two mystery AMEX accounts show up from over 20 years ago! Yes, over twenty (20) years ago.

So funny, that I motioned to expunge the 2 claims that were filed by AMEX and the Judge laughed. She told me to not expunge them since they'll be "discharged" anyhow. I claimed I never knew of these accounts and/or they were paid over 20 years ago. Strange that AMEX would let me have $100K in current credit lines yet these accounts were uncollected?

Now... that is efficient!
                So does this mean you misbehaved in a previous life ??
                Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
                  So does this mean you misbehaved in a previous life ??
                  I must have!

Comment

I must have!
                    Lets not make this a Career
                    Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

So funny, that I motioned to expunge the 2 claims that were filed by AMEX and the Judge laughed. She told me to not expunge them since they'll be "discharged" anyhow.
                      It's always a good sign when the judge laughs at your adversary.

Comment

Speaking of Amex. My wife and I had 2 amex cards. plus we each have a corporate card thru work.

The larger amex filed a proof of claim (about 3-4k), the smaller one (about $500) didn't.

When I check my credit report on Experian there are 2 soft pulls by Amex literally every month, even post-petition. I have no idea what they're looking for.

Our corporate Amex's haven't been (visibly) affected. I use mine a little bit for business travel.
                        filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X