Are TT's Evil or just people with jobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are TT's Evil or just people with jobs?

Are Trustees: 1) Just people doing their jobs 2) People doing their jobs but sometimes show empathy 3) just evil and out to destroy you?

Getting ready for Chapter 7, husband has a bad form of cancer (he's only 50!!!) and my business is failing. I'm in Hell. I really don't know what to expect from a TT and THAT is what keeps me awake. Will he/she try to crush me? Or do they ever show sympathy?
    Filed Chapter 7 on Friday the 13th!, 341 9/10/10 . TT's report of no distribution 9/13/10 DAMN STRAIGHT! Case Closed! 11/19/10 "Our long national nightmare is over".

Originally posted by Anon View Post
    Are Trustees: 1) Just people doing their jobs 2) People doing their jobs but sometimes show empathy 3) just evil and out to destroy you?
    More number 1 and number 2. The only time they get real evil, is when you lie to them or they believe that you are withholding information about assets!

In general, they do this day in and day out and can separate the liars from the truthful filer. Also, someone who is in bankruptcy due to problems arising outside their control, like military duty or severe illness, will receive empathy or even sympathy to the max from the Trustee.

Bankruptcy isn't meant to be punitive, but corrective for those "deserving".
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thank you, you have no idea how much you've helped me. I go forward with boldness!
      Filed Chapter 7 on Friday the 13th!, 341 9/10/10 . TT's report of no distribution 9/13/10 DAMN STRAIGHT! Case Closed! 11/19/10 "Our long national nightmare is over".

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
        More number 1 and number 2. The only time they get real evil, is when you lie to them or they believe that you are withholding information about assets!

In general, they do this day in and day out and can separate the liars from the truthful filer. Also, someone who is in bankruptcy due to problems arising outside their control, like military duty or severe illness, will receive empathy or even sympathy to the max from the Trustee.

Bankruptcy isn't meant to be punitive, but corrective for those "deserving".
        Couldn't agree with you more here.

Comment

Our trustee was very nice. Clearly he was not there to be our new best friend, but he treated us with the utmost dignity and fairness, and that was even more than I expected to receive considering what we are in the middle of. There was a couple there the day of our 341 that had something that just wasn't adding up - downright unbelievable, and even though he had every right to be all over them for it, he remained very professional. Do as you're told, be as truthful as possible and I think most trustees will carry out their duties in a very human (and humane) manner.

Comment

my trustee was totally professional. your 341 will be a pleasant business transaction. don't worry about it.
            filed ch7 May 09
            341 june 09
            discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

My trustee is very nice. She asked many questions but at the end it felt like she did her job perfectly.

I think it all depends on the Trustee you are going to get as well. My layer was so happy right after filing and saw the trustee I got.

Hope you will get a nice one and all the Best

Comment

I thought my trustee was evil until I got to know him. He has been soooo helpful to me in understanding the "unwritten local rules of procedure". And he is absolutely fair to a fault.

But never ever forget that the trustee's job is to protect the interest of the creditors.

Comment

Originally posted by tigergem View Post
                  But never ever forget that the trustee's job is to protect the interest of the creditors.
                  Worth Repeating. They are not your friend. They are there to protect the interests of the creditors!
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                  Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I echo Tigergem's remarks. Even though we had an attorney, we had no real guidance from her, and getting questions answered was next to impossible. Consequently, we made many major, and stupid, errors along the way.

Our trustee could have dismissed our case for many different reasons, yet he chose to work with us as best as he was able to do so, and still do his proper job. For that consideration and professionalism, we are forever grateful.
                    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Evil? Only when you lie to them.
                      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

When I first found who my TT was, I remembered the name from reading on this forum how she was the toughest in the district. I dreaded having to go in front of her at the 341 because of all I had heard in advance.

She was no-nonsense, but certainly not evil. She was running 2 hours behind, so I got to sit and watch her interact with many different petitioners. Being pro se and saved for last, I was getting mad at anyone who seemed to be pulling a fast one over on her because I didn't want her to be out for blood by the time it was my turn.

She was respectful, but thorough in her questions, and the more she got the run around or unclear answers, the more questions she had.

As long as you've be honest in your filing, you really have nothing to be worried about. The TT isn't on your side, but they're not in combat with you either.

I wish you the best, both with this process and with your husband's health issues.
                        Filed Chapter 7 pro se: 1/12/10 341 held: 2/16/10 Discharged and Closed: 4/20/10
                        Stopped Mortgage Pymts: 5/1/10 Moving to Rental: 7/2/10. Hoping Wells Fargo forecloses in 6 months tops

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X