top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need fast advice re: company-issued AMEX card a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need fast advice re: company-issued AMEX card a problem?

I filed chapter 7 and am awaiting discharge as we speak. My personal AMEX was one of the cards I filed on. Since I've been going through the BK process I started working for my MIL and was given an AMEX for company purchases. My name is on the card with her company name underneath. I have no recollection of giving her my SSN and am pretty sure my husband would have mentioned that she needed it to get us cards, so I'm assuming I'm just an authorized user.

Luckily I never had to use the card and never even activated it. Well, of course now I'm in the position where I need to purchase some software and have no excuse not to use it. When I went online to activate it the message said Thank you (my name), but it seemed to go through.

Should I be worried that now that the card has been activated and I start using it that AMEX will go to my MIL and revoke it?? I am terrified of this happening but can't think of a good excuse to get out of using the card!!

Oh - I should also mention that this card doesn't show up on my credit report? Is that unusual or pretty typical for an authorized user situation?

My company AMEX does not show up on my credit report, but I did have to give my SS when it was opened. Most corporate AMEX cards are secured by your credit and you are liable if your company does not pay it.

I did not have my corporate AMEX canceled when I filed, but I did not include AMEX in my BK. Others on here have had their corporate cards canceled when they include AMEX in their BK.
    Filed Chapter 7: 10/29/09 341 Meeting: 12/02/09
    UST involved: 12/12/09 UST out: 1/10/10
    Last day for objections: 2/01/10 Discharged: 2/8/10

Comment

Originally posted by Llelxon View Post
      I did not have my corporate AMEX canceled when I filed, but I did not include AMEX in my BK. Others on here have had their corporate cards canceled when they include AMEX in their BK.
      I can see a corp AMEX card being cancelled if the debtor was the guarantor and the principal of the company. I cannot see that happening if one worked for GE or really any other corp in which you have no ownership interest.

In the case of the OP, I don't think you have anything to worry about here. You are merely an auth user of your MIL acct. Go out there and chg some really cool stuff.

Comment

Thanks for telling me your experience. I defaulted on my personal AMEX in the early spring of last year and told them I had retained an attorney in May. My filing date was mid-February this year and I've already had my 341. Don't you think they would have already notified my MIL/her company if they wanted to pull my card?

I'm at a loss as to how I got the card without supplying her my SSN, although I guess it's possible she got it from my husband and he didn't tell me. However, when she initially gave the cards to us neither I nor my husband were employed by her company (it was more of an emergency type of thing). I'm just praying that somehow she went around the system and didn't have to provide it - otherwise I think I'm screwed. I will be devastated if my husband's entire family find out about this.

I'm wondering if AMEX hasn't done anything b/c the card hasn't been used, which is why I'm kind of scared to do anything at this point to draw their attention to me. Maybe they're letting me fly under the radar since there is no activity on the card?

Comment

Is there a credit inquiry from AMEX on any of your credit reports? I am assuming since you just activated the card and that you recently received it it may not be reporting anywhere yet. If you are an authorized user, it will still show up on your credit reports as you being an authorized user of that account. The only thing you can hope for is that you have a company guaranteed card where all charges you make are the responsibility of the company and the bill does not go to you for payment. Many state and government credit cards are set up that way; however, most companies usually send in the employees information for them to obtain the card and it is tied into the employee's SS#. When our company submits AMEX applications for new employees, it is filled out by the employee (SS# included) with all identifying information and HR sends the application into AMEX. The card comes directly to the new employee with the employee's name on the card with the company name underneath with "Corporate" at the top of the card.

You fall in one of the above categories. You will find out soon enough what that category is unless you directly ask your MIL. Hiding BK from family is difficult and they are usually really peeved if they find out about it and were never told. Unless you have specific reasons for not advising of your situation, it might be wise to come clean before there could be any surprises.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Thanks, Flamingo. I got the card over a year ago, and I thought at some point I used it and that this was a more up-to-date card, but maybe not b/c I know for sure this is not reporting on my CR as an authorized user situation. I'll check the inquiry section of my report to see if there is one on there from over a year ago.

If there's no inquiry, can I assume she got the card w/out giving them my social? Is that even possible?

Regardless, do you think I've screwed myself now by activating the card? Or is it only by using it that a red flag may be raised?

I've resigned myself at this point to the fact that EVERYONE in my husband's family may find out about the BK. Unfortunately my SIL & BIL plus my husband's uncle works for the family, so I'm sure they would find out too. I've always had a problem with my in-laws in our business too much, and to be honest I didn't want the cards to begin with, and that is what really kills me - that if it weren't for the unsolicited cards then they would have never found out.

Comment

Just wanted to update - there is no inquiry on my credit report, and my husband definitely used his card last spring but there is no inquiry OR AMEX entry on his report at all.

I am assuming that this means my MIL asked for cards in our names but did not give them our SSNs. Does this prevent AMEX from taking action on my card since they have no way to prove that I'm the same person that just BK'ed a personal card with them? My name isn't extremely unusual, but it's not a very common name either. I wonder if they have ever taken the time and energy to confirm someone's identity in this kind of situation and inquire with the cardholder as to the person's identity?

Regardless, does anyone have any ideas as to whether or not using the card would raise a red flag with AMEX or if it just show up under her name/company name? I don't even know if I get an actual statement or not, since it goes to her work address.

Arrgh.

Comment

You should be fine to use it.

You are a supplemental cardholder on the business account. The primary cardholder is your MIL. On all cardmember agreements the primary cardholder is responsible for all cards and charges issued under that primary account. It is possible that your ssn was not required as the primary's (MIL)ssn is on file. You should be fine to go ahead and charge on it but remember all your charges are visible on the primary account holders statement.
                filed 1/25/10
                341 3/1/10
                Ch. 7
                No Asset

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X