top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SAGE Personal Finance letter warning of discharge unless I take a "debtor ed" course?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SAGE Personal Finance letter warning of discharge unless I take a "debtor ed" course?

My Chapter 7 case was filed a couple of weeks ago. I already took the CFEFA credit counseling online thing, getting a certificate. My attorney told me I only needed the CFEFA counseling certificate in order to file.

Today, in the mail, I received a letter from a company called SAFE Personal Finance. They have my case number. The letter indicates that getting the credit counseling certificate is not enough to get my case approved. The letter says that in addition, I must take a "debtor education" course, or the court will dismiss my case.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? Is SAGE just a scam?

There are two credit counseling classes that must be taken. One before the filing, and one before the discharge.

Because you have a attorney, ask him/her which company they want you to take your second course with.

I recall receiving all kinds of these letters in the mail. Your BK filing is public record, so the credit counseling companies scan these to send out their mailings. My attorney wanted me to use a specific company, and I did.
    8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
    11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreCards View Post
      There are two credit counseling classes that must be taken. One before the filing, and one before the discharge.

Because you have a attorney, ask him/her which company they want you to take your second course with.

I recall receiving all kinds of these letters in the mail. Your BK filing is public record, so the credit counseling companies scan these to send out their mailings. My attorney wanted me to use a specific company, and I did.
      Communication with the attorney is very, very poor. Thus, I am trying to learn as much as I can online. How soon after filing do people need to take the debtor education course? Does it have to be done immediately, or just before the hearing with the trustee, or after meeting with the trustee?

Comment

My understanding is 'before discharge' but I don't know the timeline.

I'd chalk what you received up to being an advertisement. You'll probably get more, from companies wanting you to take their course to car dealerships wanting to sell you a car. All from public record searches.

You can check with your court clerk to find out what companies are approved for the coruse - the district's website may even have a list.
        Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
        (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Originally posted by nortrip View Post
          Communication with the attorney is very, very poor. Thus, I am trying to learn as much as I can online. How soon after filing do people need to take the debtor education course? Does it have to be done immediately, or just before the hearing with the trustee, or after meeting with the trustee?
          You need to file the certificate of debtor education within 45 days after your 341....I did mine online with www.cricketdebt.com

Comment

My wife and I used Sage Personal Finance and it was easy. We got our certificates at the end, right when we finished.

Comment

The most important thing is to be sure that the Debtor Education class is approved for your state. Some of them aren't approved in every state, and it would be a shame to take one and have the certificate be null and void in your state. Go here and click on your state to find approved courses. http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa...e_approved.htm

Also, I gather from this forum that some districts interpret the time line of the debtor education course differently. We were told to just be sure that the certificate was filed "no later than" 45 days after our 341. Hound your attorney until he answers your questions. After all, that's what you are paying him for. As a matter of fact, some attorneys include the debtor education in their fees (my mom's did)....be sure to ask before shelling out the bucks for the course on your own.
              Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Hi all,

The BK code says to take the 2nd class and get the certificate filed within the 45 days after the 341

f2b has another good point, approved agencies should be listed on your courts website.

And for pro-se filers, the court usually has some sort of cover document that gets filed with the certificate

Kinda reviving an old thread here, but good info to have floating around....

Tom in Colo
                Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

I used Sage also. The online course was easy and I received my certificates right after we finished.

Comment

We were told to get the second course and thus the certificate done ASAP after our 341. Our 341 was on a Tuesday, I think. The course was done online the following Thursday. It only took about an hour.
                    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Used 123credit, $10.00, course was two hours (timed) which is apparently a trustee requirement. It was a series of questions and the certificate was immediate after completion.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                        We were told to get the second course and thus the certificate done ASAP after our 341. Our 341 was on a Tuesday, I think. The course was done online the following Thursday. It only took about an hour.
                        we actually took our second course a day or two before our 341....just in case! in case of what..i have no idea, i just felt i wanted all the conditions met prior to going into court...or into the hearing.
                        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

course was two hours (timed) which is apparently a trustee requirement.

This sounds odd, the course is required by the court and doesn't go through the trustee...

Tom in Colo
                          Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

This is what it says on the site:

"The course is designed to take two hours as required by the U.S. Trustee."

When you finish before the two hour time limit they make you wait before you can submit and print the certificate.

Comment

.....ahhhh...it is an internet course, they have a 2hr min. No time limit on sit-down courses...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X