Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is NOW time to . . .

1) Pull my credit reports and start fixing them; and

2) Demand refunds of all payments made to previous attorneys or be prepared to file complaints with the State Bar.

D
    I
    S
    C
    H
    A
    R
    G
    E
    D
    !

Thanks for the help, moral support and forum to come to.

ooohh, congrats. How long did the whole process take you?

Comment

7 months and 3 attorneys.

Thanks!

Comment

Congratulations!!!!
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LALADY View Post
          7 months and 3 attorneys.

Thanks!
          3 attorneys??

Comment

Yes, 3.

When you have a significant 401(k) loan outstanding, it is extremely important to get someone who is well versed in those large loans and the impact on Ch7 or Ch13 filings.

Also, it is important to find someone who will do PRE-BK strategizing with you for all chapters available to you, knows your district preferences and quirks and their UST and panel trustees, AND does not run a mill.

Comment

Yes, 3.

When you have a significant 401(k) loan outstanding, it is extremely important to get someone who is well versed in those large loans and the impact on Ch7 or Ch13 filings.

Also, it is important to find someone who will do PRE-BK strategizing with you for all chapters available to you, knows your district preferences and quirks and their UST and panel trustees, AND does not run a mill.
              ok thank you

Comment

WhooooooHoooooo!!! Congrats on your Discharge!!!!
                May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

1) Pull my credit reports and start fixing them; and

2) Demand refunds of all payments made to previous attorneys or be prepared to file complaints with the State Bar.

D
                  I
                  S
                  C
                  H
                  A
                  R
                  G
                  E
                  D
                  !

Thanks for the help, moral support and forum to come to.
                  Congratulations!! You give me hope and I can't wait till we are at the point of "rebuilding our credit!"

I have a question when you are saying you are going to demand payments back from previous atorneys. I had paid an attorney a down paymnet initially, thought I was going to use him and then ended up meeting with one with one I feel so much better (so far!) about. When I asked for my downpayment to be refunded, the first attorney said that I had met with him and I used up his hourly rate so he did not have to refund the money.

Apparently even though it said free consultation on his website, when I was setting up the meeting and spent 5 minutes on the phone with him he considered that the free consultation and then when I met with him he charged me for that meeting. Either way, if he has to operate that sneaky I am relieved I did not stay with him. I also recognize now that he is probably in one of those "BK mill" offices that I read about on here. So maybe a heads up to eveyone to make sure if you speak to the attorney on the phone prior to meeting with them, make sure that is not your "free" consultation!

Comment

I feel my prior attorneys did not provide the level of representation needed for my particular case. In some instances, things were not done at all. I paid large sums of money, and I'll be requesting full refunds. In my case, my issues are not with whether the consultations were free or not.

Thanks all for the congrats and well wishes.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X