Finding Employment After Filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding Employment After Filing

Can't begin to describe the situation I am in, but let's just say that I am registering like mad with employment agencies and trying to find temp work to stabilize my income (or lack thereof). And every time I interview, there is an elephant in the room -- my impending bankruptcy. I do not know what approach is best...fess up that I have filed and ask straight out whether I am wasting my time (and theirs?). They WILL (eventually) conduct a background check, though I do not know if that includes a credit report right off the bat. I am not a convicted felon, but it's the BK that has me worried.

One of the reasons I am looking for a long-term temp job is that I thought that might relax the employment application standards somewhat -- but no so much. These agencies do check backgrounds, even for temp jobs (Office Team is a good example). Suggestions? Should I say something upfront? How have others here in similar positions handled this dilemma.

All non-sarcastic suggestions appreciated.

No need to disclose at all. I could see maybe if you were working in the financial services or accounting field, metbe even if you were going to handle money.

I kinda try and look at it this way, there is alot of people who have filed bk and/or have bad credit. If they refused everyone with any kind of credit mark then there would be alot more of us on the government teet.

Comment

I am a registered Medical Technologist and have made two job changes since our bankruptcy in August 2007. Extensive background checks were done, one job was in a hospital and my current one in a tech startup firm. It did not come up as an issue at all.

Perhaps it would help if you applied directly to the company you want to work for--they may not screen as intensively as the employment agencies do?

I hope that helps.

KF

Comment

Thank you both. After I posted my question here, I called up one of the recruiters I met with a few days ago, told her my credit was shot, and asked if that would get in the way of placement. She was actually reassuring. Yes, for some of her clients that would be an issue, but for others, no. She THANKED me giving her a heads-up. In another interview today, I said I had filed and explained the circumstances. The recruiter laughed and said "everyone is in the same boat. It's not an issue, and if it comes up I will deal with it."

It feels good to get that clarified and out of the way.

Comment

Credit will be an issue with jobs that require clearance, usually pub trust with mbi and higher. Extensive background check usually mean employment, address and criminal background check. Most of the time it won't include a credit check unless it is a position that involves handling money.
          Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Depending on the position you are applying for and company policy as to hiring their employees, a credit check may or may not be run. However, since bankruptcy is public information, it could appear as part of any background check. There is no guarantee. The best thing to always do is thoroughly investigate (as it appears you have done) the hiring practices/policies of the company/business to which one is applying and do one's homework as to the company/business. Walking into an inteview unarmed can put one right on the spot so be prepared.

Also, never let a BK on one's record prevent you from applying for any position. If asked during an interview aboutone's BK, just be open and honest. If an employer really wants you for your skills, worth ethic, experience, etc., the BK won't mean a thing unless it is against company policy to hire employees with BKs, bad credit, etc. (i.e.,, banks, financial institutions, some government agencies that require clearance/security, etc.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Thanks. Good advice.

I was told flat out by one law firm HR Manager (I was temping there) that she would not hire anyone who couldn't handle their finances (e.g., anyone who had high CC debt when they pulled a credit report). And she was referring to hiring staff, not attorneys. Then again, it dawned on me some time later that she (herself) was a real piece of work. A little Napoleon in stilettos. I say that based on some other words and deeds I observed while working there. I doubt denying someone employment because they have high credit card debt is even legal.

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
              Depending on the position you are applying for and company policy as to hiring their employees, a credit check may or may not be run. However, since bankruptcy is public information, it could appear as part of any background check. There is no guarantee. The best thing to always do is thoroughly investigate (as it appears you have done) the hiring practices/policies of the company/business to which one is applying and do one's homework as to the company/business. Walking into an inteview unarmed can put one right on the spot so be prepared.

Also, never let a BK on one's record prevent you from applying for any position. If asked during an interview aboutone's BK, just be open and honest. If an employer really wants you for your skills, worth ethic, experience, etc., the BK won't mean a thing unless it is against company policy to hire employees with BKs, bad credit, etc. (i.e.,, banks, financial institutions, some government agencies that require clearance/security, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ApresMoi View Post
                Thanks. Good advice.

I was told flat out by one law firm HR Manager (I was temping there) that she would not hire anyone who couldn't handle their finances (e.g., anyone who had high CC debt when they pulled a credit report). And she was referring to hiring staff, not attorneys. Then again, it dawned on me some time later that she (herself) was a real piece of work. A little Napoleon in stilettos. I say that based on some other words and deeds I observed while working there. I doubt denying someone employment because they have high credit card debt is even legal.
                Many major financial companies and banks have policies in place where they will not hire anyone with BK or bad credit on their records. It is due to insurance and legal purposes for the company. The same goes if one has a criminal record as we all know. That is why companies run background checks. Discrimination as to hiring or firing practices comes into play if race, religion, sex, retaliation for whistle blowing, etc., come into the picture. However, one cannot be FIRED solely for filing bankruptcy so if you are employed and file while employed, they cannot fire you for doing that unless you have an employment contract with the company that states you must inform them you filed bankruptcy and you did not inform them. Then you can get fired for noncompliance.

Your little Napolean in stilletos was just doing her job and probably doing it well and an asset to the company. It's tough being on the other side and hoping to get the job...Again, a BK will not matter if you have the experience, skills and good work ethic/good references for a any job except in the financial or government arena, and even there if they want you bad due to your qualifications, they will do what they can to hire you.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Finding more info. It seems most companies will check, so honesty is the best policy. I've worked as a temp in lots of different companies, and met lots of decent HR Managers. By comparison, this HR Manager was not an asset to the company. The law firm folded within the year after I left, so she could not have been all that great.

Comment

For what its worth, I work in financial services, and I was able to get a decent job post bankruptcy. I do not handle money directly however.

I have had an extensive background check at every job I ever had, and I have always been hired, even during the times I had bad credit. Usually, a simple explanation of what was going on with my credit was all that was required. Most of the time no explanation at all was ever required.
                    You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

That's interesting, and heartening. I found a section (525?) in the BK code that prohibits denying someone employment based on a BK, but proving that would be difficult. I like the idea of having a simple explanation at the ready. As Flamingo said, go in prepared. Tx.

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                      For what its worth, I work in financial services, and I was able to get a decent job post bankruptcy. I do not handle money directly however.

I have had an extensive background check at every job I ever had, and I have always been hired, even during the times I had bad credit. Usually, a simple explanation of what was going on with my credit was all that was required. Most of the time no explanation at all was ever required.

Comment

Just another option for those of us with a bankruptcy on our record to consider: federal jobs. There are many, many federal positions, even with agencies like the IRS, where a bankruptcy will not prevent us from being hired.

Comment

I had been meaning to get registered for federal jobs, so recently started that process. About ten minutes in, I had to give approval for a background check and credit history check in order to apply for the position I was interested in. I lost all steam at that point. I don't know whether it would impact a hiring decision, but why ask if it would not.

Originally posted by ForTheBest View Post
                          Just another option for those of us with a bankruptcy on our record to consider: federal jobs. There are many, many federal positions, even with agencies like the IRS, where a bankruptcy will not prevent us from being hired.

Comment

Originally posted by ApresMoi View Post
                            I had been meaning to get registered for federal jobs, so recently started that process. About ten minutes in, I had to give approval for a background check and credit history check in order to apply for the position I was interested in. I lost all steam at that point. I don't know whether it would impact a hiring decision, but why ask if it would not.
                            Does the job require a clearance? If so credit issues will affect the hiring decision.
                            Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X