top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does $1900 sound high for a no asset Chapter 7?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does $1900 sound high for a no asset Chapter 7?

Had my consultation and I was taken aback slightly at this fee. He said my case was pretty simple and clearly a Chapter 7 due to my circumstances.

I have to make payments and will not be able to file until September realistically.

This firm has a good reputation and I am curious if this sounds high. I am in southern NH (seacoast area).

Thank you guys and gals.

I paid about $2000 for my attorney's representation and filng of my Ch 7. This also included a quick assesment of my underwater property.

Comment

I have no home (rent), a $3000 car, and that's about it...

Comment

If that $1,900 includes the filing fee of $300, it seems to be a fair value. The cost of a attorney is going to vary from place to place so it's difficult to ask everyone on BKForum if the amount is good. You pay for service, so some of that is looking at your service/fee agreement and seeing what you get for $1,900.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Let me just second what justbroke said....

Bankruptcy is a SERVICE, not a product. It is NOT like buying milk. So you need to understand what you get and also understand what you WANT. For example, another member on this forum, ApesMoi (I think), was recently complaining that his attorney was not returning phone calls or answering question...guess what, he/she went with a CHEAP attorney and got the corresponding level of service. Sure, he will get a BK, but he didn't get much else, now he is frustrated. BK attorney A charging $1,4000 and BK attorney B charging $2,700 are NOT offering you the same thing. What you need to figure out is what you are most comfortable with. As such, there is no "objective" basis to say one attorneys fee is TOO HIGH for a bankruptcy. All you can do is compare the level of service of the individual attorneys you are considering. If you make your decision based on price alone, you will likely suffer buyers remorse.

BK fees do vary by location, but on average, for about 90% of chapter 7 cases, the range falls between $1,400 - $4,000.
          Last edited by HHM; 06-22-2010, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Yea to me that sounds cheap... I think I paid like 2,700 for mine... I can't remember exactly. Just make sure you are comfortable with the lawyer you chose and that you have shopped around. Picking the right lawyer is good for your peace of mind.
            BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
            Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Originally posted by scaredinnh75 View Post
              I have no home (rent), a $3000 car, and that's about it...
              My situation is very similiar to yours and my attorney is charging me $1700 plus filing fees. I thought that was a bit high for my simple case, but then I realized that I am getting an attorney with almost 20 years of BK experience. She works for herself, so I will never have to deal with a paralegal, plus she responds quickly to my questions. Most importantly, I feel comfortable with her and am confident in her abilities. So she is worth every penny of the $1700.
              Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
              341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
              Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

no that sounds cheap... a little too cheap for my liking. We paid $3850 including the filing fee for a no asset Ch 7 which was somewhat complex but our legal representation was absolutely top notch. This was confirmed when we had our 341 meeting and witnessed some of the other attorneys screwing EVERYTHING up, fogetting paperwork, not being able to answer questions from the trustee.

Believe me you get what you pay for.
                Stopped paying c. cards February 2009
                Retained attorney 11/5/09 - $100k in C.Card debt - $120000 per year income - Filed Feb 2010 - 341 Apr 2010 - No Asset Case/Report of No Dist Apr 2010 - Discharged June 2010
                Case went without a hitch!
                I HELD MY HEAD HIGH IN THAT COURTROOM AND NOW I AM MOVING ON!

Comment

I have heard $1600 from 2 lawyers and $2600 from another. I think yours is pretty straight forward and depending on your area might be fine. Too cheap? no one can say unless they know your area.

Comment

Think of it as hiring your own surgeon. Would you go with the cheapest surgeon you could find if your life depended on it. Your financial life and BK outcome could depend on who you chose to represent you in this matter.

I believe research, due diligence and several consultations are on order. I am paying $3500.00 for my Bk7; however I have two attorneys working on the case that have a broad range of services and expertise. So far so good. I don't want to mess this up so I am comfortable with this price.

ST
                    Filed 7 - 7/8/10, 341 - 8/17/10 - Continued, Presumption of Abuse Filed - 8/27/10
                    Report of No Distribution 9/27/10. Discharged 2/7/11 Closed 02/25/1
                    10/12 EXP. 681

Comment

But cost for me or you or anyone will be vastly different in different area's. $2000 here might be really cheap but really expensive elsewhere.

Comment

i'm using one my friend used. $1400 plus the filing fee.

Comment

Thank you~

Wow. Thank you so much guys. This is a well known firm with two lawyers, Bankruptcy is their specialty and they have been in business for over 25 years. I was very comfortable with the lawyer and their reputation. It looks like the cost is more than fair.

Comment

When we filed it cost $1700, which covered everything. That was Sept 2008. A friend of mine is currently going through the same lawyer and was charged $1800, so I think yours is right on target.
                            Discharged Ch 7 9/10/08
                            Livin' the GOOD life

Comment

I'm paying $1199 which includes the filing fee and the counseling. Chapter 7 with no assets, keeping my mortgage and car. He's been in business for 30 years. It probably depends on the area of the country as to what the attorneys charge.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X