Please don't bash me for asking this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread has been wonderful to read.

I'm currently sitting at my computer with a knot in my stomach. I am stressed to the max and I have to maintain appearances at work as if nothing is wrong. I have lost 25 pounds this year mulling over this decision (though I'll place that fact in the pro column).

My car payment is past due, I owe the IRS and the State back taxes (the State is already taking 25% of my pay), let alone the credit card payments, medical bills, and other installment loans. As I reflect on my financial history, I realize that I have been brought to this place through very poor financial decisions compounded by things that are certainly out of my control (being laid off, no medical insurance and then taking a 40K pay cut). Before I was laid off and before the drastic pay cut after I was re-hired, I was making ends meet. Was I saving for the future, not a chance. I was just barely getting by like most Americans. I have realized that the appearance of success is a silly way to live when you have an ugly secret buried in the back yard (horrible credit and tons of debt).

I have informed only my parents of this decision, you need someone you can trust to talk to, you need someone that will understand when you lash out from the stress. Am I embarrassed? Yes. But, I'm young (early 30's), this decision will set my ship straight so to speak and enable me to secure a solid financial future. I achieved great success in my early 20's and lived a fast fun life, those things are no longer important to me. I have learned my lesson.

I have a meeting with my attorney this afternoon to make a second payment and should be making the final payment next week and be completely filed 48 hours after he receives the final payment.

I struggled with this decision for months. Do I feel like a failure? Absolutely. Am I making the correct business decision? Absolutely. I really honestly believe the anxiety levels will drop once the Chapter 7 is filed and the Automatic Stay order is in place. At the moment, every single time my phone rings, I cringe.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I know, once I'm filed, my excitements levels will certainly start to rise again. And maybe, I'll be able to sleep through the night, and hopefully, I'll be more of a pleasant person to be around.

Thank God, I found this Forum. I have learned so much. It's wonderful to know that I am not alone in this journey. I'm sure many people I know have filed for bankruptcy, but let's face, it's not exactly a dinner topic. It's good to know their are "strangers" out there sharing their story.

I would love to be able to one day educate our youth on financial management. Especially the kids achieving success and making a lot of money at an early age. It's all for not if the money is not properly managed.
    Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

In 1934, the SUpreme Court got it very right. I hope this quote from a long forgotten case will help.

One of the primary purposes of the Bankruptcy Act is to 'relieve the honest debtor from the weight of oppressive indebtedness, and permit him to start afresh free from the obligations and responsibilities consequent upon business misfortunes.' Williams v. U.S. Fidelity & Guaranty Co., 236 U.S. 549, 554 , 555 S., 35 S.Ct. 289, 290. This purpose of the act has been again and again emphasized by the courts as being of public as well as private interest, in that it gives to the honest but unfortunate debtor who surrenders for distribution the property which he owns at the time of bankruptcy, a new opportunity in life and a clear field for future effort, unhampered by the pressure and discouragement of pre-existing debt

Comment

Thank you for posting that quote keepmine. I need to keep reminding myself of that.
        Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

Originally posted by disconapper View Post
          This thread has been wonderful to read.

I'm currently sitting at my computer with a knot in my stomach. I am stressed to the max and I have to maintain appearances at work as if nothing is wrong. I have lost 25 pounds this year mulling over this decision (though I'll place that fact in the pro column).

My car payment is past due, I owe the IRS and the State back taxes (the State is already taking 25% of my pay), let alone the credit card payments, medical bills, and other installment loans. As I reflect on my financial history, I realize that I have been brought to this place through very poor financial decisions compounded by things that are certainly out of my control (being laid off, no medical insurance and then taking a 40K pay cut). Before I was laid off and before the drastic pay cut after I was re-hired, I was making ends meet. Was I saving for the future, not a chance. I was just barely getting by like most Americans. I have realized that the appearance of success is a silly way to live when you have an ugly secret buried in the back yard (horrible credit and tons of debt).

I have informed only my parents of this decision, you need someone you can trust to talk to, you need someone that will understand when you lash out from the stress. Am I embarrassed? Yes. But, I'm young (early 30's), this decision will set my ship straight so to speak and enable me to secure a solid financial future. I achieved great success in my early 20's and lived a fast fun life, those things are no longer important to me. I have learned my lesson.

I have a meeting with my attorney this afternoon to make a second payment and should be making the final payment next week and be completely filed 48 hours after he receives the final payment.

I struggled with this decision for months. Do I feel like a failure? Absolutely. Am I making the correct business decision? Absolutely. I really honestly believe the anxiety levels will drop once the Chapter 7 is filed and the Automatic Stay order is in place. At the moment, every single time my phone rings, I cringe.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I know, once I'm filed, my excitements levels will certainly start to rise again. And maybe, I'll be able to sleep through the night, and hopefully, I'll be more of a pleasant person to be around.

Thank God, I found this Forum. I have learned so much. It's wonderful to know that I am not alone in this journey. I'm sure many people I know have filed for bankruptcy, but let's face, it's not exactly a dinner topic. It's good to know their are "strangers" out there sharing their story.

I would love to be able to one day educate our youth on financial management. Especially the kids achieving success and making a lot of money at an early age. It's all for not if the money is not properly managed.
          Disconapper my best wishes to you - I'm right there with you - there are days literally where I do nothing but read this forum at work (not the best idea :-)

I wish you all the best and I think once you are through this, it will be a fresh start...I hope to begin with filing next week, fingers crossed!!!

Comment

Thank you IamOld! I am at work right now on this forum (shhh!) It's not the best idea, but I have a lull in my work load and I need the distraction and positive thoughts that are on this site. I wish you all the best as well!

Comment

Ok you 2 now get back to work. LOL
              Good luck to you both!!

I have cried laughed and smiled with those on the forum. My hubby jokingly asked me what i was going to do after my discharge and close.
              Ahhhh I'm still here.
              filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
              "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by oregonpilot View Post
                Good luck to you both!!

I have cried laughed and smiled with those on the forum. My hubby jokingly asked me what i was going to do after my discharge and close.
                Ahhhh I'm still here.
                LOL oregonpilot, I'm still here! Shhhh! LOL And thank you! This forum is absolutely great, it's been very educational!

Comment

Originally posted by oregonpilot View Post
                  Good luck to you both!!

Ahhhh I'm still here.
                  ACTUALLY...he asked me what i was going to obsess about now!!!!

Comment

I felt like a lower class person and like a big failure when I had to file BK due to a failed business. I've let go of the feelings about the BK but still struggle with the one's regarding the failed business. My discharge was 8 months ago and I'm still here regularly reading this forum. Good luck to all of you in letting go of the negative feelings related to BK.

Comment

Originally posted by nervous1 View Post
                      but does anyone else feel "low class" for filing or thinking about filing BK? (
                      Absolutely. The hardest part was realizing my good credit was gone. I went through a series of emotions. I was scared to answer the phone or the door. Scared that someone would find out that I had filed BK and be embarrassed. I felt guilty that I got into the situations that lead to BK. I was in denial because I thought I could find a way to still pay the bills that was until I called credit counseling and they recommended filing BK and emailed me a list of attorneys.

But it was a good decision for me and helped me get out of all of the ton of debt and Start a fresh. It's been a year and a half since I filed and things are much better.

Comment

Amazing how alike we all are.

until I called credit counseling and they recommended filing BK and emailed me a list of attorneys.
                        It was just one more "little" thing that pushed me into this needed bankruptcy. I felt that I must be really "bad off" if even the people who I thought didn't reccomend bankruptcy, reccommended it :-)

Comment

Originally posted by lillymarlene View Post
                          I felt that I must be really "bad off" if even the people who I thought didn't reccomend bankruptcy, reccommended it :-)
                          Very True. Hard Knocks.

Comment

The only time I felt anything other than "ok" was at the 341 hearing. Other than that, I'm fine with it...

Comment

Some of us have been here for many many years. I check in occasionally, long after discharge and closing because I remember clearly how frightened and nervous I was as I began my journey into BK.

It is nice to "give back" a little now and then.

There are members of this forum that truly feel like family to me. We've never met, probably never will, but we have all been forged anew in the same fire.

Best to all,

-dmc
                              11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
                              12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
                              3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

ahhh DMC.....you can never know how your posts helped me.
                                Thank you from my heart...and viseral parts!!

I feel the same way....wishing i could "hug" you all. This is a wonderful fam!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X