Question about Pacer entry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Pacer entry

Ive been waiting for discharge and checked PACER today and seen this entry.
    NOTICE OF NEED TO FILE PROOF OF CLAIM
    DUE TO RECOVERY OF ASSETS
    The initial notice in this case instructed creditors that it was not necessary to file a proof of claim. Since that notice
    was sent, assets have been recovered by the Trustee.
    Creditors who wish to share in any distribution of funds must file a proof of claim with the clerk of the bankruptcy
    court at the address below on or before:
    October 5, 2010
    This date does not reduce the time provided by statute for governmental units to file proofs of claim.
    Creditors who do not file a proof of claim on or before this date might not share in any distribution from the debtor's
    estate.
    The trustee hasn't recovered any assets. I plan to surrender a car that I owed 7000 on and had about 2500 in equity, its the only asset I had that wasn't exempt but was told at the 341 the trustee wasn't interested in it. Is this normal to be changed to an asset case because I'm surrendering a car? Could this delay discharge?
    Filed BK 7 no asset - 03/16/2010
    341 meeting - 05/18/2010
    Discharged - 08/12/2010

I believe you are being converted to an asset case because of the equity in the car. I'm assuming you are using Ohio exemptions, and that the full amount of equity in the car cannot be exempted.
    C7 Filed: 2009-11-06 | 341: 2009-12-14: | DISCHARGED: 2010-02-09
    Condo: Walked away due to 2nd mortgage intransigence; 1st foreclosed. Now totally DEBT FREE!!

Comment

Originally posted by iv65536 View Post
      I'm assuming you are using Ohio exemptions, and that the full amount of equity in the car cannot be exempted.
      Yes it was a second car that I used a 1,075 wildcard exemption on. Am I correct in believing that I will get the exempt amount back from the trustee if the car is sold at auction rather than being surrendered back to the bank that holds the lien. Thanks
      341 meeting - 05/18/2010
      Discharged - 08/12/2010

Comment

Yes, it's the equity in the car. The Trustee must set a deadline to file claims when a no asset case becomes an asset case... even if it's only "speculation" that there "may" be some property to liquidate and money to distribute. This puts the unsecured creditors on notice to file a claim.

Now, if the Trustee only gets $1,000 of the $2,500 equity, then, after taking his $250 commission and costs, the rest is distributed amongst the creditors. They may only get $3 or $50 and much depends on how many actually file a claim.

This will not delay your discharge and affects closing only.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

What is the difference between the "discharge" and the "closing" of a BK case?

Comment

HHM has written a thread on that specific question.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks JB thats what I thought would happen.
              341 meeting - 05/18/2010
              Discharged - 08/12/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X