Changing banks question/automatic payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing banks question/automatic payments

I am waiting on a call from my lawyer, so I thought I would ask here. Planning on filing Chapter 7 due to moving and the house being underwater. I am behind only on mortgage, last payment made in April.

I am pretty sure I should stop paying all CC debt and the HELOC. The HELOC is from the bank I do regular banking at. I just pay that with a transfer ususally.

2 of my CC's, come out auto every month. Do I call them now and tell them to just take it off auto, I am closing the accts. I set up a payment plan with them months ago to get everything back in order, wonder if part of the deal was to do auto pay. Do they make you notify them a certain amount of days before you close the acct to do it. Do I just close it and let them worry about it? I want to do something quick, as the next one is set to take the payment out next week.

Thanks

Don't trust the CCs to remove the auto payment. I've read stories here where they went ahead and took the payment anyway. Close your account now. No advanced notice is required. Once the account is closed, the auto transfers will be denied.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Make sure that you make note of the date that you closed the account and the amount that was in it at the time it was closed. This will need to be listed on your Statement of Financial Affairs for informational purposes.
      I am not a lawyer - I just play one on TV. It is always in your best interest to seek legal advice from a competent attorney licensed in your state. Any information I post here should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X