top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which expense "receipts" are required when filing a Chap 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which expense "receipts" are required when filing a Chap 7?

I am interested to know what actual receipts are required when filing a Chapter 7, especially in relation to proving the Means Test.

I am listing the allowable expenses on the Chapter 7 Means Test below.

I am hoping users in the forum can respond line by line on their understanding of what receipts are required as well as how many months of receipts when applicable.

I am confused as to the likelihood of having to have receipts on many/all of these items, so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

I have denoted the expenses in question using a ????? string. Hopefully people on the forum can help with feedback on the ????? items!

EXPENSES ON CHAP 7 MEANS TEST - FORM B22A

* Food, Clothing, Other Items (Line 19A) = NONE (Set by IRS)

* Extra Food, Clothing, Other Items (Line 39) = ?????

* Healthcare (Line 19B) = NONE (Set by IRS)

* Other Healthcare Expenses (Line 31) = ?????

* Utilities (Line 20A) = NONE (Set by IRS)

* Mortgage/Rent (Line 20B) = NONE (Set by IRS)

* Housing and Utilities Adjustment (Line 21) = ?????

* Home Energy in Excess of Line 20A (Line 37) = ?????

* Vehicle Operating Expenses (Line 22A) = NONE (Set by IRS)

* Public Transportation (Line 22B) = ?????

* Vehicle Ownership/Lease Expense (Lines 23 & 24) = NONE (Set by IRS)

* Taxes (Line 25) = ?????

* Involuntary Deductions (Line 26) = ?????

* Term Life Insurance (Line 27) = ?????

* Court Ordered Payments (Line 28) = ?????

* Education (Line 29) = ?????

* Child Care (Line 30) = ?????

* Telecommunication (Line 32) = ?????

* Health Insurance (Lines 34A, B and C) = ?????

* Care of Elderly (Line 35) = ?????

* Protection Against Violence (Line 36) = ?????

* Child Education (Line 38) = ?????

* Charity (Line 40) = ?????

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to respond to all of the items line by line!!!

Any mention of how many months of receipts are required for each individual line item would also help!
    Over Median Income - 10/04/10--Filed Pro Se Chap 7/ No Assets 11/10/10--341 Held 01/18/11-- No Distribution/No Funds 01/19/11--Not subject to dismissal under 521(i)(1) AND --Reaffirmation Hearing Held = APPROVED 02/10/11--Discharged

All I can give you is what I personally have in my proof folder- my understanding is that none of this goes to the trustee unless it is asked for, but I gathered it anyway. Non variable expenses I only put in one month bill, things with a range I put 3 months. Hope this helps: (I left your ???? where I did not have an expense.)

EXPENSES ON CHAP 7 MEANS TEST - FORM B22A

* Food, Clothing, Other Items (Line 19A) = NONE (Set by IRS)

* Extra Food, Clothing, Other Items (Line 39) = $10 per person irs limit- my "proof" is that we live in Maine and the seasons of shopping exceed the normal standard.

* Healthcare (Line 19B) = NONE (Set by IRS)

* Other Healthcare Expenses (Line 31) = Insurance year to date summary, pharmacy printout year to date. Our healthcare is over standard and I claimed the difference here.

* Utilities (Line 20A) = NONE (Set by IRS)

* Mortgage/Rent (Line 20B) = NONE (Set by IRS)

* Housing and Utilities Adjustment (Line 21) = ?????

* Home Energy in Excess of Line 20A (Line 37) =current Electric bill and heating oil contract

* Vehicle Operating Expenses (Line 22A) = NONE (Set by IRS)

* Public Transportation (Line 22B) = ?????

* Vehicle Ownership/Lease Expense (Lines 23 & 24) = NONE (Set by IRS)

* Taxes (Line 25) = used actual 6 month average from pay stubs

* Involuntary Deductions (Line 26) = union dues, mandatory retirement plan from 6 month average on pay stubs

* Term Life Insurance (Line 27) = one month bill

* Court Ordered Payments (Line 28) = ?????

* Education (Line 29) = ?????

* Child Care (Line 30) = daycare contract and a couple receipts to show I hav paid the contracted rate

* Telecommunication (Line 32) = 1 phone bill showing cost of internet and call waiting

* Health Insurance (Lines 34A, B and C) = shown on paystubs- used 6 month average
    * Care of Elderly (Line 35) = ?????

* Protection Against Violence (Line 36) = ?????

* Child Education (Line 38) = ?????

* Charity (Line 40) = actual receipts where available or a simple list that I gave $5 to xxx charity
    I am not an attorney. I am just a fellow passenger on a sinking ship. Anything posted above is my opinion or best guess, and nothing more.

Comment

Pretty much all the areas where you have a question mark do not apply to many people, so they'd just be left blank or filled in with a $0. If it does apply to you because you go over the IRS standard or have that particular expense, then you will most likely be required to submit receipts.

Also, keep in mind, just because you submit proof of the expense, unless it's medical or childcare of something required for basic living, it may still be objected to as an expense. For example, if you're spending several hundred dollars on cable tv and cell phones every month (over and above the IRS standard utilities expense), that may be considered excessive and objected to as it's not a basic necessary living expense. Or if you're sending $500 a month to your elderly parents, that will most likely be objected to and examined VERY closely.
      Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
      0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

means test

Hi gman,

Are you under-median or over-median on the means test. If over, by how much.

My thought: you only need expenses if you are over median and then only to get you to a negative DMI

Also, actual expenses are needed on the means test if you are over the IRS standards. If you are within IRS standards, just use the standard.

Actual expenses go on Sched. J

Just some thoughts, hate to see you go through things if you don't have to.

Tom in Colo
        Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Originally posted by tcreegan View Post
          Hi gman,

Are you under-median or over-median on the means test. If over, by how much.

Tom in Colo
          I am unemployed but am still over the median.

I have some large tax debts that will "boost" my expenses so I am close to showing no DMI.

This is why every penny counts in my situation.

I am focused on passing the Means Test, as the Schedule J expenses are not of concern as I have little to no "current" income.

My hope in posting here was to understand how "picky" the Trustees are about having receipts for the Lines listed above.
          Over Median Income - 10/04/10--Filed Pro Se Chap 7/ No Assets 11/10/10--341 Held 01/18/11-- No Distribution/No Funds 01/19/11--Not subject to dismissal under 521(i)(1) AND --Reaffirmation Hearing Held = APPROVED 02/10/11--Discharged

Comment

Originally posted by gman View Post
            I am unemployed but am still over the median.

I have some large tax debts that will "boost" my expenses so I am close to showing no DMI.

This is why every penny counts in my situation.

I am focused on passing the Means Test, as the Schedule J expenses are not of concern as I have little to no "current" income.

My hope in posting here was to understand how "picky" the Trustees are about having receipts for the Lines listed above.
            You are not required to provide proof of any expense listed on the means test unless the trustee questions the item. If you are completing the form honestly, you have nothing to worry about.
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

my understanding if reference to the "means" testing format, is just to see what you qualify for...whether it's chapter 13, 7 or nothing....

after doing the means test it was detemined we should go chapter 7...we were -$3900 monthly due to job loss...so it was a no brainer for numbers to work.

we did not have to provide any documents at all for the means test. i rounded every item to the "TOP" dollar amounts. however, of course for the actual BK package we had to supply supporting documents.

i made sure we kept HONEST because anything could be asked to be backed up by supporting documents. it's the best way to be..one can sleep better at night..although during most of this we did very little sleeping at all!
              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

we did not have to provide any documents at all for the means test. i rounded every item to the "TOP" dollar amounts. however, of course for the actual BK package we had to supply supporting documents.

let me "re" word that...we turned everything in together...so all of our paperwork including tax forms, bank statement etc...were attached with the means test..as well as the 50 page questionaire from the atty's office.

i think it was after the review of the entire paperwork it was detemined we were going chapter 7.
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X