refusing utilities post discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

refusing utilities post discharge

If you filed on a old electric bill and have it discharged can the company still refuse you service after your discharge?

Also if so can you pay the bill to get service back?

I had got my sisters power on in my name a few years back and they would not let me have a account. So when I move out one day I will need service.

I don't think a public utility can refuse service. They can require a huge ass deposit, but they have to provide service. If they don't, call your public service commission.
    Last edited by MSbklawyer; 08-22-2010, 07:18 AM. Reason: Misspelt a wurd.
    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

My friend msbklawyer is correct. Under 11 USC 366, they can't refuse service but they can require a deposit that is consistent with the state's underlying non-bankruptcy laws (utility laws). In most states, that means that a deposit equivalent to two times the average monthly usage based on the last 12 months.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Not sure if their public. It is duke energy

Comment

Originally posted by bigtim6656 View Post
          Not sure if their public. It is duke energy
          They are a public utility within the meaning of the phrase. A public utility delivers oil, gas, water, electric, cable, phone, and other regulated services to customers. They are regulated by a public service commission or other regulatory body in your State.

Duke is most certainly a "public utility" company since they provide energy services. As such, they are regulated by the state in which they operate as well as some federal regulations as well.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X