Preferred treatment with certain accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preferred treatment with certain accounts

Ok, so I speak with my attorney again tommorrow, but I have some questions.

I paid my dentist yesterday, 300 out of the 900 I owe him. I love my dentist and want to pay him off. I will need more dental work so I didn't want him to not see me again. He said he would work out any payment plan a month, so this could be doable even with bankruptcy. He was very nice, and even mentioned another woman they work with who claimed BK and she's been paying 20.00 a month for two years and is almost paid off. He said as long as I pay something, he will continue the work. He asked me not to hide anymore, the work needs to be done and it's okay, he understands and cares. (made me cry, this financial mess is really making me an emotional wreck).

I also paid one out of my 3 cc's last Friday, out of guilt. I think (hope) I can make atleast another month or two of bill paying before not being able to pay full amounts or at all. As I have mentioned, my last 6 months of income is inflated due to the overtime, which stopped about 2 months ago. I'd like to push off BK for a few months to reflect this due to this being the "real deal" of my current income. A 40 hour work week will not sustain my cc bills, mortgage, car payment etc. CC's were last used in Aug.

Did I even ask a question yet???? Sorry.

IF I struggle to make it the next couple of months what I will be lacking is food, gas, etc. Can I get help from my family for those items? I'm gonna start falling behind anyway, but a look back of 6 months of income, and cc use may hurt me if done this early.

The one blessing throughout all this mess I've gotten myself into, is the love and understanding I've gotten from my dad, some friends who know, and my daughters father. The last few years of pretending everything was okay and not telling anyone of my financial rollercoaster came to a screeching halt a month ago. I thought everyone would just think I was a failure and an idiot. I was so wrong, and wish I had spoken up 2 years ago. Living this "lie" has taken quite a toll on my emotional health.

One other blessing, YOU ALL! I wish I would've found you earlier!

Stop paying the cc's. You need to eat. I don't think dental payments for necessary work would be considered preferred payments. You probably have a good 4-6 mos. before any lawsuits. To pay cc's when you can't eat is just foolish (not calling you a fool, LOL).

I stopped paying for the first in Aug.........yes, I get calls but after telling them I can't pay at this time, I stopped answering the phone, let voice mail get it. I won't be filing until at least DEC or JAN as I have to let balance transfers age. I do know how you feel, but I refuse to give cc's any more money. This from a lady who had an 840 credit score........LOL. Probably trashed now but I really don't care.

Hang in there and on this forum!

Good luck and stop the payments,,,,,,,,,,,,money down the drain if you know you are filing as everyone here will tell you.
    Filed CH 7 4/15/11
    341 5/23/11
    DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

Why would you take money from family just so you can continue to pay your creditors when you know you're filing bk? Are creditors more important than family? The answer should be a resounding: NO! Don't pay your creditors. If you want to continue to pay your dentist, that should be fine as you're paying for ongoing treatment which is not considered debt. However, to be safe, you may want to keep the total amount you pay him less than $600 within the 90 days prior to filing.

edited to add: if you still need help with necessities even when not making payments to creditors, I'd suggest having your family buy you what you need rather than giving you cash. For example, they could take you grocery shopping or give you a gas card, etc.
      Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
      0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

If you are going to file anyway stop paying now. The phone will ring ALL THE TIME! 8:17 every morning for 7 months my phone rang (I never talked to them, so they just kept calling)

It will take months before any legal action is started by your creditors. Borrowing money from family to pay bad debt is never a good idea. You will be fine not paying for the few months it takes you to pass the means test.

It took my 1st lawsuit exactly 12 months to show up (July 2010). And no others were filed between early july and when we filed on August 31st. (21cc's total...only 1 lawsuit.)
        Filed 8/31/10
        341 Hearing 10/5/10

Hopefully No Asset Ch 7

Comment

That money that you paid to the cc is a preferred payment and the trustee will probably go after it. Stop paying all cc's and use the money to take care of your family.

Comment

I certainly don't think creditors are more important than family. I was just trying to think of a way to delay filing since credit use is so fresh.

I don't know what I'm doing but thanks anyway for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
              I certainly don't think creditors are more important than family. I was just trying to think of a way to delay filing since credit use is so fresh.

I don't know what I'm doing but thanks anyway for the advice.
              I haven't paid my credit-cards for years and I'm still alive. If you just have to "survive" maybe 6 months between not paying your creditors and filing, I can tell you that this shouldn't be an issue.
              Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
              FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
              FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

I understand not wanting the phone calls to start, but if you don't have enough for food, it is probably time to try getting by on what you make now. If you have the stomach for telling all your friends and family that things are dire and now you have their support, I think you'll do just fine dealing with the creditors. It's actually been easier than expected due to reading and learning some tips for handling them. There are still a couple that have called my folks but so far they haven't gotten them on the phone. My dad assures me he'll tell them where to go if he ever gets one on the phone. Dad's can be so great like that.

I agree that help from family should be delayed or just for necessary things like buying groceries or helping pay the attorney. Best not to take $$ when it will show up as income. Maybe tell them to wait and help you after you've gotten through the bk if you need it.

I stopped paying the CC starting Aug 1. There were some charges in July. The intention is to file after it's been 3-4 months from last charge and 6-month income is balanced by a sudden drop. So I'm guessing it will be Nov or Dec. Maybe Jan if we can hold out that long without me being sued or the house going into foreclosure.

I think in these circumstances it is best to think about what will make the day-to-day better and not so much the big picture. I'm starting to realize that in doing what makes the day-to-day better I may just be onto something that will make the long-term better too.
                Stopped paying 8/2010, Filed 2/2011, 341 3/2011 done, Report of no distribution . . . Discharged & Closed 5/2011!

Comment

I complete understand how painful it is to not be able to pay your bills. But you will find relief when you file. But it doesn't make sense to continue to pay when bk is inevitable. The sooner you stop paying, the sooner you will have the required funds to file. Once you retain an attorney (mine only required $300 for retainer), you can refer all calls to them even if you haven't filed yet. That will stop or at least slow the calls down.
                  App for debt consol loan from WF who held 100% of my unscrd debt - DENIED.
                  Went to LSS for CC - couldn't put together a plan that my creditors would accept.
                  Final alternative? Bankruptcy... Filed Ch 7 (over the median) 7/28/20, 341 Meeting 8/27/10. Awaiting Discharge...

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
                    That money that you paid to the cc is a preferred payment and the trustee will probably go after it. Stop paying all cc's and use the money to take care of your family.
                    please stop paying your cc and your family comes first...always....

it is so terrilbe when people like this poster ( who pretend to know what a trustee will do) attempt to scare you and want you to be in fear.

i for one need to extend my apolgies for these terrilbe scare tacics that some LOVE to engage in.

those that come to this site for help certainly do not need this, they are under enough stress.

please take care it will all work out for you and yours.
                    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X