top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disputing line items on credit report before filing BK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disputing line items on credit report before filing BK?

It will be a few months before I am able to afford to file BK7. During this time, while I get a few things in order, will it hurt the BK7 proceedings if I try to clean up my credit report (ie disputing, correcting, removing, etc) prior to the BK? It has been two years since I have used (or paid on) a single credit card. I have not pulled (nor disputed anything) a report yet, would this re-age items on my report and hamper by BK?
    BK7 - Discharged May 2011

Originally posted by Epic View Post
    It will be a few months before I am able to afford to file BK7. During this time, while I get a few things in order, will it hurt the BK7 proceedings if I try to clean up my credit report (ie disputing, correcting, removing, etc) prior to the BK? It has been two years since I have used (or paid on) a single credit card. I have not pulled (nor disputed anything) a report yet, would this re-age items on my report and hamper by BK?
    No, generally, it shouldn't make any difference concerning your BK-filing and it doesn't re-age anything either since the date of first delinquency (DOFD) on these accounts remains unchanged. But that leads to my question: Why do you want to take the burden of twice the work (pre- AND post-BK "cleaning") if you are going to file anyway?
    Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
    FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
    FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

Epic,

Approximately 60 to 90 days post discharge you will have to clean up your credit reports. If there is no compelling reason to do so now, you will be wasting your time.
      Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
      AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Hi all, Hi Epic,

Cleaning up your credit reports before the BK is not a problem, just kinda a waste of time. You are going to want to clean them all up after your BK case closes, no sense doing it twice. But if you are a glutton for punishment, fire away...use letters and a lot of persistence.

Good luck w. your BK!

Tom in Colo
        Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Hmmm - when I saw a financial counselor, who advised me to do the bk, she said I should clean up my credit report. My report had me down as owing twice on 2 different accounts, when, in reality, they just had 'almost' duplicate account numbers. Maybe she said to do it because both of them were for the mortgage (1st & 2nd) and it looked like I had twice the debt that I have??? I'm not sure but it only took letters to the 3 reporting bureaus to get it cleaned up; No real hardship on me to send triplicate letters to them to get it cleaned up. They replied quickly too.

OOOPS - was not my mortgages - was the Visa bill and the LOC from my bank that were duplicated. Still made it look like I was in much further debt than I am though.
          Last edited by discouraged; 09-26-2010, 04:07 PM. Reason: Incorrect

Comment

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
            I'm not sure but it only took letters to the 3 reporting bureaus to get it cleaned up; No real hardship on me to send triplicate letters to them to get it cleaned up. They replied quickly too.
            Hey - and if you would have disputed with the creditor directly, you might have saved 2 letters...
            Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
            FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
            FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

Originally posted by IBroke View Post
              No, generally, it shouldn't make any difference concerning your BK-filing and it doesn't re-age anything either since the date of first delinquency (DOFD) on these accounts remains unchanged. But that leads to my question: Why do you want to take the burden of twice the work (pre- AND post-BK "cleaning") if you are going to file anyway?
              exactly....why would you...you have enough on your plate!

actually, if you use an atty most use an electronic credit report and usually they incorp. into your petition...MINE was so far off it had us living at an address we had NOT lived at for 35 years!!! and they were reporting as my MAIN address.

normally the atty's office supplies you with a report and most of it's wrong anyway...LOL!! so why bother to fix it now...

fix it when it counts!! when you file and list your creditors the most important thing is account numbers and correct address for proper notification.

but it's up to you...however, i think you may find better ways to utilize your time....like playing solitaire...LOL!!
              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Oh well - When someone is paid to do their job (my adviser) I just listen to them - just as I listened to cc reps for years, my real estate agent and all the other great people I have listened to over the years. I'm just conditioned!

Or - I WAS until I found this site and all you great people!

Comment

Oh well - When someone is paid to do their job (my adviser) I just listen to them - just as I listened to cc reps for years, my real estate agent and all the other great people I have listened to over the years. I'm just conditioned!

Or - I WAS until I found this site and all you great people!
                  LOl!! oh...you mean you were "brainwashed" like all of us who entrusted the professionals???

bad you...LOL!!
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Lol

Comment

personally...my goal, although possibly unusual for this type of site...is if i can get just ONE smile....then i have done my job!!! that is if the LOL is referring to my post.......LOL!!!!!

Comment

Ah Tobee - it worked for me! I've had such a good, exhaustiing day. 1st day I've worked in a year- it's a temp 2-3 month position at the city. Feels so good to work again!!! After a year of being unemployed and yes. you brought a smile to my face. And laughter. Thank you.

Comment

Ah Tobee - it worked for me! I've had such a good, exhaustiing day. 1st day I've worked in a year- it's a temp 2-3 month position at the city. Feels so good to work again!!! After a year of being unemployed and yes. you brought a smile to my face. And laughter. Thank you.
                          my greatest pleasure.

and congrats on your NEW job although temp...it's sure beats no job! hope maybe it can turn into something more for you..

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I will go ahead and pull a current CR and see what needs to be corrected. If anyone else has any thoughts, please chime in
                            BK7 - Discharged May 2011

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X