Letting the house go, too...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting the house go, too...

If we file BK, and we let our home go, as well, do we have to move out when we file? When we are discharged? Or, do we wait for an eviction notice? (We own the home, although it is 100K underwater with 3 mortgages.) How does that work? Anyone with experience able to share on this?
    --------------------------------------------
    As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

BK will discharge the debt (the mortgage loans). Your lender/s still have to follow your states foreclosure laws to reclaim the property. Do a search for the foreclosure process in California and you'll have your answer on how they will proceed post bankruptcy. (There is also a wonderful foreclosure sub forum here, lots of helpful people going through the same thing.) Good luck to you.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

we are not in ca...but it's been almost three years and still no foreclosure on the house.

we chose to leave....however, many people stay until they get there notice.

most all foreclosures with chase and boa and some other banks are now on "hold" due to all the fraud with the signing of the paperworks.

however, it depends on your area, and your personal situation...if your banks have all their ducks in a roll it could take a shorter time period. i would check your local sheriff's site to see how quickly they are going up for sale.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

You are not obligated to leave until the lender completes the foreclosure process. It may be in your best interest to occupy the house until you have to leave, but, each situation is a little different.
        I am a bankruptcy attorney practicing in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties.
        Disclaimer: This post is not legal advice, and I am not your attorney.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X