Renting before BK....before filing or before discharged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tobee

You read my mind. Yes, I DO HATE that thought. I think I'm gonna put it back until winter is over. Wait, winter's not coming yet but I still have to wait for discharge first.

If you come here in MN, it's gonna be funtastic. You'll 'enjoy' the cold and snow. We have quite a few MN fellows here in this forum
    Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by wnguyen View Post
      Thanks, backtoschool and tobee. The problem is the individual landlords in my area are probably having problems of their own (like mine).
      All the more reason they'd be willing to take a chance on you. If they're struggling, they're not in a position to turn down rental income. Show up with a deposit and first/last month's rent and I'm sure SOMEONE will lease to you. Heck, my ex-wife only works part time and she managed to get a studio apartment. It can be done.
      This post does not constitute legal advice. If you use my advice in place of a lawyer, God help you.

Comment

wnguyen, on the flip side, once you rent from an individual, be sure you protect your self and check county records every three months for NOD's.
        Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
        AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Thanks, backtoschool and tobee. The problem is the individual landlords in my area are probably having problems of their own (like mine). I know that I'm reliable but I can't prove otherwise.
          How is your past rental history? Are you unemployed or employed right now? Worst case scenario, you may need a cosigner if your rental history, mortgage history and job history are spotty. But, if you have the ability to pay, there is an individual landlord that will rent to you.
          You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by rjmwx81 View Post
            All the more reason they'd be willing to take a chance on you. If they're struggling, they're not in a position to turn down rental income. Show up with a deposit and first/last month's rent and I'm sure SOMEONE will lease to you. Heck, my ex-wife only works part time and she managed to get a studio apartment. It can be done.
            I know they'd be willing to take a chance on me. If they understand bk, they should know that I'm a good risk because I can't file bk for another 8 years at least, that's for their protection. However, with a security deposit plus first and last month's rent seem like a triple pay and that's a lot to me. I know, that's how it's played out.

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
            wnguyen, on the flip side, once you rent from an individual, be sure you protect your self and check county records every three months for NOD's.
            Over here, it seems that they individual landlords will only rent to those they know and the majority of them is pretty judgmental about bk. That's pretty ignorant!

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
            How is your past rental history? Are you unemployed or employed right now? Worst case scenario, you may need a cosigner if your rental history, mortgage history and job history are spotty. But, if you have the ability to pay, there is an individual landlord that will rent to you.
            My past rental history was pretty much spotless. The only problem is my last landlord and I were having a dispute about my leaving without giving them 2 month notice. I did in fact gave them 2 month notice but on the note I failed to put the date on it so they took advantage of my mistake and not returning my security deposit and even threatening to sue for another month.
            Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

wnguyen, I understand your position, but I'm with B2S on this one. Kiss enough frogs...you know the rest. You will find someone who will rent to you based on your rental history and income, not credit.
              Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
              AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

you will....landlords need renters or they can't make their mortgage...in today's economic climate you will find someone that needs a renter as badly as you need to rent!
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

tobee

You read my mind. Yes, I DO HATE that thought. I think I'm gonna put it back until winter is over. Wait, winter's not coming yet but I still have to wait for discharge first.

If you come here in MN, it's gonna be funtastic. You'll 'enjoy' the cold and snow. We have quite a few MN fellows here in this forum
                  NOT!!! i have slipped in the ice once to many times!!! LOL!!

i use to think if fun....now SUN...that's fun....LOL!!
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I know they'd be willing to take a chance on me. If they understand bk, they should know that I'm a good risk because I can't file bk for another 8 years at least, that's for their protection. However, with a security deposit plus first and last month's rent seem like a triple pay and that's a lot to me. I know, that's how it's played out.

Over here, it seems that they individual landlords will only rent to those they know and the majority of them is pretty judgmental about bk. That's pretty ignorant!

My past rental history was pretty much spotless. The only problem is my last landlord and I were having a dispute about my leaving without giving them 2 month notice. I did in fact gave them 2 month notice but on the note I failed to put the date on it so they took advantage of my mistake and not returning my security deposit and even threatening to sue for another month.
                    If you have a good rental history and income, there is an individual landlord that will rent to you. Times are tough, and landlord's have bills to pay with decreasing income just like the rest of us. I would not worry about the dispute, those things are common. As long as you have no evictions, can show a steady history of paying on time, and have income you will find a decent place to live.

Comment

We rented our new place in Feb and filed in May -- we did this intentionally so we'd still have decent credit if needed. As it turned out, our landlord didn't even run our credit, just checked salary and references.

We left our lease off the BK paperwork completely, and our attorney said we didn't need to worry about it. Our lease contract specifies that if we file BK our lease terminates and we have to move out immediately, and honestly I just couldn't deal with that possibility. Worst-case scenario was the Trustee questioning it, in which case I'd have a blonde moment and say "Oops, I didn't know I had to list that." But we were never asked.

We might have been OK anyway because instead of security deposits, my lease specifies nonrefundable "cleaning fees" and "pet fees." So there's no way we're getting those back, and therefore no way those fees could go to the trustee. I just didn't think it was worth opening up that can of worms.
                      DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Comment

Thanks guys. You all gave me more confidence in looking for a new place, even though I heard of the news today in my area that renting places and vacant rates reduce, thanks to the foreclosures soar.

Comment

Originally posted by researchnerd View Post
                          We rented our new place in Feb and filed in May -- we did this intentionally so we'd still have decent credit if needed. As it turned out, our landlord didn't even run our credit, just checked salary and references.

We left our lease off the BK paperwork completely, and our attorney said we didn't need to worry about it. Our lease contract specifies that if we file BK our lease terminates and we have to move out immediately, and honestly I just couldn't deal with that possibility. Worst-case scenario was the Trustee questioning it, in which case I'd have a blonde moment and say "Oops, I didn't know I had to list that." But we were never asked.

We might have been OK anyway because instead of security deposits, my lease specifies nonrefundable "cleaning fees" and "pet fees." So there's no way we're getting those back, and therefore no way those fees could go to the trustee. I just didn't think it was worth opening up that can of worms.
                          I didn't put my lease on my petition either or list my landlord. Why create unnecessary complications? On an off-topic note, I have to say researchnerd, I really covet your screen name I wish I had thought of it.

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                            You will probably have a difficult time with larger complexes, but individual landlords will look at the larger picture and once they meet you and see you will be a reliable tenant, they will rent to you. The key is to have your explanation ready as to why you filed. A stable job history will help.
                            Couldn't have said it better. This was our experience to the dot. Realtors also don't like to hear the B word but if you can go straight to the landlord/owner, you will know if you're a fit. It's a little painful to keep getting rejected of course but I believe if you're applying to rent a place you know you can really call home at least for the next year or so (or more), that will exude in your interview. Each of us have some special circumstance that led us to BK. The other thing is, like tobee mentioned, $ talks, so if you were able to save up some money for a bigger deposit than what's being asked, that can somewhat even out the "special circumstances" angle.

Good luck

Comment

We listed our landlord and told her beforehand. She won't be losing out on anything, so it wasn't an issue. We are not assuming our lease (it's only month to month anyway, we put in a 30 day notice), we have found a new place to live. We won't be signing the new lease until after we file, so our new landlord will not be listed. It's really perfect timing for us.

Both of our landlords (current and future) are private landlords. They found us on Craigslist. We posted an ad stating where we wanted to live, how much we were willing to pay, and we were completely honest about our credit situation. I think the fact that we are open and honest makes them feel more comfortable with renting to us.

Even cheap apartment complexes are picky. We thought about going back to a place we had lived in before. We had been there over a year and had all on time payment and received our entire security deposit back. Well, they are super picky and even with having a good history with them, there is no working around their system.
                              I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
                              Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

Interesting dumpinmydebt....did you put your financial issues right out there on the ad, wait till they contacted you by email or phone, or till you met them in person?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X