Critique My Schedule J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critique My Schedule J

Would like to hear your thoughts on my Schedule J as it stands now. Anything that will get the trustee's attention? (I'm under the median by about $5K.)

Rent 697
    Car 303
    Fuel/Maint 200
    Health Insurance 245
    Dental Insurance 47
    Charitable 50
    Electric 90
    Car Insurance 80
    Domestic Support/Alimony 100
    Phone (cell only, required for work) 110
    Cable 80
    Internet (required for work) 60
    Clothing 40
    Laundry 40
    Household 20
    Med/Dental Out of pocket: 40
    Groceries 260
    Pets 15
    Personal Care Items 20
    Gym 40

Anticipated changes: Domestic support obligation ends April 2011; will be offset by increase in car insurance (deductible is too high, want to lower it) and rent. Also will have to file for an annulment through the church, one-time fee of $600.

Without the anticipated changes, I'm at a DMI of $23 per month. Thoughts?
    This post does not constitute legal advice. If you use my advice in place of a lawyer, God help you.

Looks good to me. I'm assuming that you're single and have no children.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Correct. Well, divorced. Thus the alimony payment.
      This post does not constitute legal advice. If you use my advice in place of a lawyer, God help you.

Comment

If you're under the median income and below $100 DMI, what do you have to worry about? Hold your head High. ;-)
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        8/10 - began researching bk, 9/10 - stopped paying ccs, 10/10 - paid atty fees, 11/10 - filed c7 - over median income , 12/22 - 341, 12/23/ - no distribution

Comment

I'm just a little paranoid I suppose. If the trustee disallows something, then all of a sudden I'm above $100 DMI. That's my worry. Cable bill, gym membership, increasing my insurance to make up for the alimony expense going away...those have me nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by rjmwx81 View Post
            If the trustee disallows something, then all of a sudden I'm above $100 DMI. That's my worry. Cable bill, gym membership, increasing my insurance to make up for the alimony expense going away...those have me nervous.
            Anyone have an opinion on whether the trustee would object to any of those?

Comment

Anyone have an opinion on whether the trustee would object to any of those?
              Gym membership, unless you just claim it under all "recreational" amounts.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Increasing car insurance??? Is that a necessity? Do you have any association dues? perhaps work related? subscriptions that are work related?

Chris
                Filed 13: 7-19-10 Cvt 7: 8-10-10 Amdts: 9-3-10 341 10-6-10
                Trustee NoAsset: 10-7-10 Last object: 12-5-10

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                  Gym membership, unless you just claim it under all "recreational" amounts.
                  That's kind of what I was afraid of. My concern is that, combined with the $80 cable bill, I'm looking at $120 in recreation...which seems high to me. On the other hand, the IRS allowances provide for $87 in "miscellaneous" expenses, so then I'm only looking at about $33 that the UST can object to, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by ladycee View Post
                    Increasing car insurance??? Is that a necessity?
                    Right now I have a very high deductible, so much so that if I were to file a claim, I might not be able to pay it. So yes, I'd argue it is a necessity; I need to get the deductible down to a manageable level. I'm also assuming that my basic rate is going to jump due to the bankruptcy, since it's partially based on credit history/score.

There are work-related associations I can join, but they're not really required for my current job, so I don't think I could argue that they are a necessity.

Comment

That's kind of what I was afraid of. My concern is that, combined with the $80 cable bill, I'm looking at $120 in recreation...which seems high to me. On the other hand, the IRS allowances provide for $87 in "miscellaneous" expenses, so then I'm only looking at about $33 that the UST can object to, correct?
                      If you're doing Schedule J forget about IRS allowances. J is about actual expenses. I am well over median, barely passed means, squeaked by on J and am awaiting discharge. That being said, my attorney included my $119.65 cable bill (along with DSL bill $34, Garbage service $27 and Cell phone bills $110) under 2-Utilities- Other with an attached schedule, and our $89 gym membership was included under recreation rounded up to $100.
                      Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
                      AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
                        If you're doing Schedule J forget about IRS allowances. J is about actual expenses.
                        Right, but my understanding is that expenses beneath the IRS allowances are less prone to scrutiny. Or am I mistaken?

Comment

they do allow work related subscriptions, and also associations. AARP was on mine. and atty asked me if there were any magazines or subscriptions related to employment.

Chris
                          Filed 13: 7-19-10 Cvt 7: 8-10-10 Amdts: 9-3-10 341 10-6-10
                          Trustee NoAsset: 10-7-10 Last object: 12-5-10

Comment

Unless the expense is exhorbitant, e.g. cable bill= 180+ or cell phone for 1 = 75 or 100, then you should be fine. Do the following. Firgure out by how much your DMI on J is negative. Then add the expenses that you think may be taken away. If at the end you're still negative or under 100 or so positive, there's going to be no contest.

In my case I also included (divided by 12) my Costco annual membership, AAA membership, vehicle registration fee, etc

I think you're overkilling this which is why I'm asking you to do the above exercise.
                            Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
                            AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Would like to hear your thoughts on my Schedule J as it stands now. Anything that will get the trustee's attention? (I'm under the median by about $5K.)

Rent 697
                              Car 303
                              Fuel/Maint 200
                              Health Insurance 245
                              Dental Insurance 47
                              Charitable 50
                              Electric 90
                              Car Insurance 80
                              Domestic Support/Alimony 100
                              Phone (cell only, required for work) 110
                              Cable 80
                              Internet (required for work) 60
                              Clothing 40
                              Laundry 40
                              Household 20
                              Med/Dental Out of pocket: 40 (do you wear glasses? any regular meds which you pay for out of pocket? co-pays?)
                              Groceries 260 ( single ppl $350 to 400 per month in this category when we do input at our firm)
                              Pets 15 (that would barely cover any shots etc.... I'd up that to more like $30 per month)
                              Personal Care Items 20 (around here $50 for this which includes haircuts)
                              Gym 40

Anticipated changes: Domestic support obligation ends April 2011; will be offset by increase in car insurance (deductible is too high, want to lower it) and rent. Also will have to file for an annulment through the church, one-time fee of $600.

Without the anticipated changes, I'm at a DMI of $23 per month. Thoughts?

Read above ........
                              Any "suggestions" I offer are not to be deemed as legal advice, as I am not an attorney. "Suggestions" are offered solely based on my life experiences, education, and what I have observed in the work that I do.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X