Can I sell stock to pay attorney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I sell stock to pay attorney?

I own 40 Shares of Sara Lee Stock with a value of $536.00; can I sell those hares to pay my attorney?
    Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Yes. Beware of the taxes. If you held it long enough, it will be long term gains.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I just did not want this amount to be turned into an asset, so that is why I thought about selling...appreciate the help

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      Yes. Beware of the taxes. If you held it long enough, it will be long term gains.
      Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

I don't think it would be a problem, at least it wasn't for us. I needed to sell a small amount of stock, about 2K, to pay for property taxes. The attorney told me it was a necessary expense and would not be problem. We sold the stock the same month we filed and payed the taxes about a week before we filed. The trustee didn't have any issue with it. Our case was discharged this week.
        Last edited by CreditCretin; 10-08-2010, 04:00 PM. Reason: tired... typed dismissed and meant discharged.. Whoops!

Comment

Our case was dismissed this week.

I really hope you meant to type your case was discharged!

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
            Our case was dismissed this week.

I really hope you meant to type your case was discharged!
            Oh my!! Yes I did. Wouldn't be so happy about a dismissal..... Guess that's what happens when you put in over 55 hours in a week. Maybe it's time to have a drink and go to bed. Thanks for pointing that out. I corrected it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X