No announcement yet.

New Median Income Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The higher over median that you are, the more likely that the UST will get involved with you.
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Holy crap, mine went down by $4900...

Originally posted by rjmwx81 View Post
      The new median income data, for cases filed after November 1, is now available at the US Trustee's website.

My state went down...but only by about $40. A lot of worry for nothing. Thank heavens.
      Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
        The higher over median that you are, the more likely that the UST will get involved with you.
        Exactly. Especially if you have expenses that are above the IRS allowances.
        This post does not constitute legal advice. If you use my advice in place of a lawyer, God help you.

Comment

Wyoming median went up by almost $3K for a family of three. We already filed and were so far below median that it's a miracle we are still surviving ;)

Counting down to the 341....and getting an ulcer from thinking about it! If I survive the next three weeks without a gaping hole in my gut, I'll be surprised.
          Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

i am over the median by $2300 how likely will the UST get involved?
            my DMI is close to minus $600
            Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
            Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
            Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

scorpion, anynoe over median gets flagged, period. Now, whether you will be subjected to a formal UST review or not depends on a lot of things. Are any expenses questionable? Any income questionable? Property? The UST is not going to waste their time on a straight forward case for the most part.
              Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
              AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

scorpion, anynoe over median gets flagged, period. Now, whether you will be subjected to a formal UST review or not depends on a lot of things. Are any expenses questionable? Any income questionable? Property? The UST is not going to waste their time on a straight forward case for the most part.
                my attorney said i should have no problems
                Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
                Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
                Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

For a 2person household in KY, it dropped about $1100. We were planning on filing Nov.1, but now we are screwed. Our lawyer told us we were about $300 too high back in Sept. which is why we were putting off filing in Nov. so that a few months of higher income would drop off. Now we may have to wait another 6mo so that my unemployment income will drop off. More than frustrating to say the least.

If our lawyer advises to wait, I really don't know how we will handle the next 6mo with all the phone calls from creditors and even the possibility we could get served by our mortgage lenders. If we do get served foreclosure papers before we are ready to file, is there something that can be done to delay it until we can file? What about if our credit card companies decide to sue us for garnishment?

Comment

The problem is, looking at the trustee's web site, it looks like the figures are updated every 6 months or so anyway. So if you wait another 6 months, the median might go down AGAIN.

Have you asked your lawyer to run the means test for you? Just being over the median doesn't force you into a Chapter 13, it just means you have to go through the whole means test. Depending on your expenses you might still qualify.
                    This post does not constitute legal advice. If you use my advice in place of a lawyer, God help you.

Comment

I have been freaking out all night since I read about new median going into effect and suddenly going from $2k over median to $4k over median. I have made an appointment with my attorney to see how I can make this work.

Just this once I want something to work out for us...

I'm so thankful to this board. I am able to keep my sanity a bit more

Originally posted by rjmwx81 View Post
                      The problem is, looking at the trustee's web site, it looks like the figures are updated every 6 months or so anyway. So if you wait another 6 months, the median might go down AGAIN.

Have you asked your lawyer to run the means test for you? Just being over the median doesn't force you into a Chapter 13, it just means you have to go through the whole means test. Depending on your expenses you might still qualify.
                      Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Looks like ours went up $1100.

Comment

Soooooooo glad I converted when I did. Family of 3 in Nevada going down by $7014.00 a year!

Comment

Hi all,

I was aghast looking at some of the numbers folks are bouncing around, I was thinking 'the median went up $5000, how is someone going to come up with $5000 in expenses to still qualify for a Ch 7?

But then I thought about it...if median income goes UP, that means you can have higher income or less expenses to pass the means test. Median going up makes things easier, even for over-median filers.

Bkman2 is who clued me in.....their median went DOWN by 7K....so now all over median filers are over median + 7K People who had a low DMI now have to come with a bunch of expenses or get converted to Ch 13.

So, if the UST median-income figure went UP, breath a sigh of relief.
                            If the USTmedian-income figure went DOWN, scramble for your calculators and file before the new numbers take effect.

Hopefully I got this right and not backwards....

Tom in Colo
                            Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

My state went down around $100. This is another down from the previous already down one.
                              Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by tcreegan View Post
                                Hi all,

I was aghast looking at some of the numbers folks are bouncing around, I was thinking 'the median went up $5000, how is someone going to come up with $5000 in expenses to still qualify for a Ch 7?

But then I thought about it...if median income goes UP, that means you can have higher income or less expenses to pass the means test. Median going up makes things easier, even for over-median filers.

Bkman2 is who clued me in.....their median went DOWN by 7K....so now all over median filers are over median + 7K People who had a low DMI now have to come with a bunch of expenses or get converted to Ch 13.

So, if the UST median-income figure went UP, breath a sigh of relief.
                                If the USTmedian-income figure went DOWN, scramble for your calculators and file before the new numbers take effect.

Hopefully I got this right and not backwards....

Tom in Colo
                                Correct - Median went up you should be ok
                                Median went down - I'm scrambling.....LOL
                                "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X