Losing my pets during bankruptcy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaddyDavid View Post
    You are unable to pay basic expenese, yet you have pets to feed?
    No, she is unable to pay basic expense plus credit cards.

So bye bye credit cards.
    filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

My husband would gladly offer up our 3 poodles to the trustee.

Not that the trustee would want them, considering how high maintenance they are (reference one of my other posts about the vet clinic getting most of our $4000 tax refund last year).

We have a vet wellness plan for our dogs that pays for their shots, teeth-cleaning, bloodwork, etc. and costs a total of $90/mo., which definitely pays for itself considering the medical problems our dogs have. They also have to eat prescription dog food for their diseases, so we put down a value of $50 each on them to cover the wellness plan and food.
      Filed Ch. 7: 10-28-2010 Report of No Distribution: 12-16-2010 Disharged and Closed 2-18-1011

Comment

Originally posted by DaddyDavid View Post
        You are unable to pay basic expenese, yet you have pets to feed?
        WTH dude? Guess that old adage of class is bred not bought applies... go somewhere else to troll. Sheesh!

ETA: Forgot to answer the OP I was so annoyed :P

You can keep your pets - just as everyone else has posted. Like 'Hub - we declared $1 for ours. Remember to add in pet expenses to your budget!

Comment

I could just see it now, the trustee takes your dogs, the 4 in my case. Here is what he gets to deal with.......the constantly whining 11 year old, the yappy 2 year old, the OCD 4 yr old (with seperation anxiety) and the 6 year old Queen B$#^CH! Good luck with that Mr. Trustee.

Comment

I find that it's cheaper to feed my two dogs then it is to feed one teenager!!
            Filed Chapter 7: 8/11/2010 341: 9/13/2010 Done!!
            9/14/2010 Trustee Report of No Distribution
            Discharged 11/15/2010 Closed 11/18/2010

Comment

Good point Stormy, and I will add, I will never in my lifetime spend on my 4 dogs what I have spent on one daughter! My dad thinks I am crazy having 4 dogs, but I always tell him "cheaper than 4 kids" ;)

Comment

Interesting. My attorney never even asked about pets, and I didn't think to list them as assets. We have 2 dogs and 3 cats, all rescued and almost all >10 years old. Definitely more of an expense than an asset.

However, a few months before we filed we had 42 chickens, which we had to rehome. We were getting about 20 eggs/day -- that might have been considered an asset! Hmmm...I wonder if I could have paid my attorney in eggs? But seriously, I think the chickens would have fallen into the livestock category, not pets.
                DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Comment

Originally posted by researchnerd View Post
                  However, a few months before we filed we had 42 chickens, which we had to rehome. We were getting about 20 eggs/day -- that might have been considered an asset! Hmmm...I wonder if I could have paid my attorney in eggs? But seriously, I think the chickens would have fallen into the livestock category, not pets.
                  Funny you should say this We had 6 (are now down to 3) and ours were counted as pets and not livestock because a chicken isnt considered livestock for some reason here. Odd. However we were asked if we could sell the eggs / had we sold eggs in the past, and if it could generate any additional monies. We stated that we did not keep chickens to sell eggs, we used them for our family and gave to our neighbors / church. Thought it was funny our lawyer asked if we could get any $ for the eggs and when we asked why, he stated because the trustee will ask. LOL

Funny trustee...

Comment

I have 3 dogs and 3 cats. No one ever asked about them and even if they did I would NEVER give them to anyone. They are part of my family and will stay that way until they pass. Pets are not assests unless they are for show and you use them to make money.

Comment

....all you chicken ranchers need to move to Texas, there you can exempt 120 chickens.....

I was sad when we had to give up our 8 hens when we moved, sure miss the farm fresh eggs...

Tom in Colo
                      Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Originally posted by tcreegan View Post
                        ....all you chicken ranchers need to move to Texas, there you can exempt 120 chickens.....

I was sad when we had to give up our 8 hens when we moved, sure miss the farm fresh eggs...

Tom in Colo
                        And here I am, a Native Texan, and I've never had any chickens. Maybe that's why I moved to Florida...
                        Filed Ch. 7: 10-28-2010 Report of No Distribution: 12-16-2010 Disharged and Closed 2-18-1011

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                          Funny you should say this We had 6 (are now down to 3) and ours were counted as pets and not livestock because a chicken isnt considered livestock for some reason here. Odd. However we were asked if we could sell the eggs / had we sold eggs in the past, and if it could generate any additional monies. We stated that we did not keep chickens to sell eggs, we used them for our family and gave to our neighbors / church. Thought it was funny our lawyer asked if we could get any $ for the eggs and when we asked why, he stated because the trustee will ask. LOL

Funny trustee...
                          Laws vary from state to state - in some places chickens are considered "poultry" which is distinct from livestock. I think numbers matter too -- if you have a little backyard flock of six, they're more like pets, but if you have a production henhouse with 30,000 birds it's totally different.

We gave most of our extra eggs to the local women's shelter, and their cook was incredibly thankful. They saved the cartons for us to recycle and sometimes left little handwritten thankyou notes from the kids inside. We were both really sad about giving them up when we moved.
                          DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Comment

I have 2 dogs and 2 parrots, which were all listed, but at 0 value. The parrot cages however were given a value of $80 each.
                            Chapter 7 - Petition filed 10/08/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X