top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do bankruptcy trustees actually visit your home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do bankruptcy trustees actually visit your home?

When filing bankruptcy, does anyone actually visit your home for any reason?
    BK7 - Discharged May 2011

Originally posted by Epic View Post
    When filing bankruptcy, does anyone actually visit your home for any reason?
    yes .rarely but it happens
    Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
    Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
    Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

Very rarely unless you live in a certain FL district
      Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
      AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

do they come without notice?
        Filed Chapter 7 on 10/26/2010, Meeting 341 on: 1/19/2011 PLEASE DONT DISMISS ME!!!!!

Comment

If anyone comes out, it's not usually the trustee, but an appraiser hired by the trustee. No idea if they give you notice or not. I would assume they have to give you SOME kind of notice so you can let them in, but I don't really know.

Edited to add: it would still be pretty rare for anyone to come out, though. Except in Florida, where it's apparently becoming much more common for the trustees to send out appraisers.
          This post does not constitute legal advice. If you use my advice in place of a lawyer, God help you.

Comment

Originally posted by rjmwx81 View Post
            Edited to add: it would still be pretty rare for anyone to come out, though. Except in Florida, where it's apparently becoming much more common for the trustees to send out appraisers.
            Just curious, does anyone know why they are doing it more in Florida?

Comment

Originally posted by mrskal View Post
              Just curious, does anyone know why they are doing it more in Florida?
              Because Florida has a "piddly" $1,000 wildcard exemption for EVERYTHING except your car. Then you get $1,000 for one car. This can be doubled if married and filing jointly. Given the ultra low wildcard, most Trustee correctly assume that the majority of people have more than $1,000 worth of property.

(If you don't keep your home, then you also get a statutory $4,000 "unused" homestead exemption. However, you must surrender your home or not have a home to get that extra exemption. That exemption may also be doubled to $8,000 if you file jointly with your spouse. The people the are able to use the unused homestead exemption, usually don't have a Trustee audit and appraise their personal property. I was never appraised, but had the $4,000 unused homestead exemption as well as the $1,000 constitutional exemption. I had money left over too.)
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X