top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to handle student loans after discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to handle student loans after discharge?

Our discharge notice was posted on PACER two days ago.
    My husband has student loans that were listed in the bankruptcy. We know it is not dischargeable. I've read/been told before that we need to contact the lenders to make sure his loans are still in deferment.
    My husband will be in school until Spring 2011. I just want to make sure we don't get a bill from them before he graduates.

Anyone in similar situation?

Thank you in advance for your input. =)
    Filed Chapter 7 Pro Se: July 28, 2010
    341 Meeting: Aug. 24, 2010/ Report of No Distribution: Aug. 25, 2010
    Officially Discharged: Oct. 26, 2010

Hi Nomoneyhoney,

I am also in school and got a notice from Direct Loans to contact the school. When I contacted the school, they said that everything was fine and that I may need to sign a new note once I'm discharged. Nothing has changed regarding my deferment. If you have concerns about his loans I would just call the lender. As far as I know, bk or no bk, he is still entitled to an in-school deferment.

By the way, congrats on your discharge!!! I was scheduled to be discharged on the same day but according to the records it looks I have to wait a few weeks, how frustrating! Anyway, enjoy your fresh start and good luck to you!
    Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
    341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
    Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

I am in school and the two lenders said I was fine. Once I got my discharge I made sure to call them.

Also every year you have to sign a new promissory note, so you should be okay.

Congrats on the BK and I know he will be glad when Spring 2011 comes around. I know I will be glad to get through next year so I will graduate.
      Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
      341 meeting on 5/28/2010
      Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Your loans should still be in deferment if your husband is in school. You will get a notice from Direct loans after you are discharged that will show that the status of your loans is changing from "in bankruptcy" to "deferred". Direct loans were not allowed to contact you during your bk so that is why you didn't get a status update. Your husband's school informs Direct Loans that your husband is in school full time, and that will set the status back to deferred when you are discharged.
        You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X