top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Homeowners Association Dues be discharged in chapter 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Homeowners Association Dues be discharged in chapter 7?

The NOLO book says yes but only under Chapter 13 and later it says yes under Chapter 7, so I am confused.

I am current on the actual dues, in fact I have never missed a payment, however six years ago I was fined for 'dog damage to lawn' when at the time I didn't even have a dog. They refused to remove the $50 fine at the time and continued to mark my account as late thus charging $10/m late fee. I constantly tried to resolve this and have documented proof. Typical association deaf ears. We get our statements at the end of each year and today mine said I owe over $700. I called and said I will just pay the $50 to close this and they said no.

It's never showed up on my credit report but I do know they have taken other homeowners to court over non-payment of dues.

Will this survive Chapter 7 bankruptcy?
    BK7 - Discharged May 2011

It will be discharged as to you personally, meaning they cannot sue you, get a judgment and raid your bank account or garnish wages; but the HOA's right to lien your home will survive a BK.

Comment

deleted

Comment

Originally posted by Epic View Post
        The NOLO book says yes but only under Chapter 13 and later it says yes under Chapter 7, so I am confused.

I am current on the actual dues, in fact I have never missed a payment, however six years ago I was fined for 'dog damage to lawn' when at the time I didn't even have a dog. They refused to remove the $50 fine at the time and continued to mark my account as late thus charging $10/m late fee. I constantly tried to resolve this and have documented proof. Typical association deaf ears. We get our statements at the end of each year and today mine said I owe over $700. I called and said I will just pay the $50 to close this and they said no.

It's never showed up on my credit report but I do know they have taken other homeowners to court over non-payment of dues.

Will this survive Chapter 7 bankruptcy?
        u should of paid the $50 while u could
        Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
        Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
        Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

Originally posted by scorpion35 View Post
          u should of paid the $50 while u could
          I disagree with paying anyone (especially HOA/POAs) for something you were not guilty of. My C7 in NC covered all of our POA fees/dues/extortion money (whatever you want to call it)

Comment

Originally posted by gls007 View Post
            I disagree with paying anyone (especially HOA/POAs) for something you were not guilty of. My C7 in NC covered all of our POA fees/dues/extortion money (whatever you want to call it)
            I certainly agree. How can you do "dog damage" to a lawn? Particularly without a dog present? LOL. I would present a lawsuit back for extortion and even possibly go to State Attorney over same. Sounds grossly wrong. I would NOT put down on your forms that you owe anything to the Ass-ociation. This would be tantamount to admitting the debt. Just list them of course as you would have to anyway but not as a creditor. Or,,,,,put down $1.00 with "dispute" on the form. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
              I certainly agree. How can you do "dog damage" to a lawn? Particularly without a dog present? LOL. I would present a lawsuit back for extortion and even possibly go to State Attorney over same. Sounds grossly wrong. I would NOT put down on your forms that you owe anything to the Ass-ociation. This would be tantamount to admitting the debt. Just list them of course as you would have to anyway but not as a creditor. Or,,,,,put down $1.00 with "dispute" on the form. 'Hub
              Correct, you DO list them HOA as a creditor, and you CAN/SHOULD list what the HOA says you owe, but simply mark the debt as disputed. The disputed check box is how you protect yourself.

Comment

FYI Epic, you do owe HOA fees past file date until you get your name off the deed...
                Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X