Citibank sending letters after 3 mos.......threatening with lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Citibank sending letters after 3 mos.......threatening with lawyer

I have not made any payments since the end of July. Have had settlement offers which I ignored. Not spoken to any but one creditor. So.........I get a letter from Citi on my two accounts that if I don't contact in 30 days, they will turn over to a lawyer here in PA.
    Anyone else get these and if so, what happened?

Need to wait until Jan because had some huge balance transfers last December. Paid on them six months and stopped.

Any help will be appreciated...........really need to hold off until Jan to file!
    Filed CH 7 4/15/11
    341 5/23/11
    DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

I wouldn't worry too much. It sounds like you still have some time before it goes to an attorney. Even if they file a suit right when they get it, you'll have 20+ days to either answer or appear. With the holidays, chances are you won't get a court date before January anyway. Even if they get the judgment, once you file it will stop all collection activity and the judgment will be discharged and the lien can be vacated after the bk.

Comment

I agree with Sunshine, you got plenty of time, especially if you're looking at a Jan filing date. Figure the 30 days from your letter, add another 15 for them to realize you didn't respond, then potentially draw up a suit and file, 20-30 to respond to suit, etc.
      Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
      AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Hi sunshinePA,

Agree with cssjoe and SunshineGal, very doubtful they will take any real action b4 Jan given the holidays, and even if they do, these types of lawsuits are pretty easy to stall until you can file.

The first step in their process is to try to intimidate you to cough up some cash, don't let it get to you. Don't tell them you are filing BK and don't promise to pay as admit you can't pay. Either ignore or send a polite 'there is nothing I can do right now, contact me again in Feb'

Hang in there!

Tom in Colo
        Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

You could send the a DV letter (Debt Validation) asking them to prove this is your debt. This might add some more time before they send it to the collection attorney.
          "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

you didn't mention the amount of the debt....usually they don't bother much to start the suit unless it's huge amount like you stated...however, the worse scenario for you even if they did in fact get a judgment...is after the discharge of your bk, you would have your atty or yourself file a motion to vacate the judgment...so let citi have a stab at you...once your bk is discharged you'll be fine...just a bit of "extra" work for either you or if you use an atty...it may cost a bit more in legal expenses to have the motion to vacate filed...

hold on tight....it's a bumpy, scary ride...but you can make it through!!! it will be fine!

Any help will be appreciated...........really need to hold off until Jan to file![/QUOTE]
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X