Met with Paralegal today to go over BK docs- Household Size Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Met with Paralegal today to go over BK docs- Household Size Issue

So when I initially met with my attorney in March, he suggested a chapter 7 even though I was over the median income for a one person household. He said after payroll deductions, insurance, etc, he could get me to qualify. I had to save up for the retainer and in July, I got a raise so now my salary puts me over the median income by $9,000 so I asked if my domestic partner of 12 years, 11 of which we have shared the same address can be included so I can qualify for chapter 7. The paralegal did not know or certain so she is checking with my attorney.

I really want to file chapter 7 instead of 13 because I do not make a ton of money and do not want to be in debt to a trustee for 5 years.

Does anyone know if a domestic partner who you are supporting counts as a household member? If we need to get married prior to filing, we have no problem with doing that either. We act as a married couple anyway so it would not make a difference in our daily lives.
    Filed chapter 7 on 12-8-10
    341 meeting 1-7-11.
    DISCHARGED! 3-15-11

Yes they would count as a household member. Be advised though that if there working (bringing in income) that would count towards your income.

Comment

congrats on your raise (even though its not helping you at this moment).

Comment

Hmmmmm then why would my paralegal not know this? Ugh frustrating. He is currently unemployed which is the reason why we are in this situation.

lol thanks, yeah a raise is always nice but not when you are trying to pass the means test.

After browsing the forums, I see that quite a few people have been over the median more than I am and they filed chapter 7 because of their expenses.
        Filed chapter 7 on 12-8-10
        341 meeting 1-7-11.
        DISCHARGED! 3-15-11

Comment

The reason the paralegal did not include your domestic partner is that you live in a "non-traditional" household. In your State, your better half is nothing more than a roommate. If you have the option of marriage and you are not opposed to it, then, by all means. . .

Des.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X