Reaffirm auto loan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reaffirm auto loan?

My attorney has told me that as long as a continue paying for my auto loan in a timely manner (using autopay through my checking for example because since i have filed my auto lender can no longer send me invoices) that they will not repo my car and there is no need to reaffirm the loan, just pay and it will be ok. I am kinda nervous of this idea and i do want to keep my car but will this work? has anyone else been told or done this?

Yes, this is quite common, unless your lender is one of the more aggressive ones that demands reaffirmation agreements on certain value loans, such as Ford Motor Credit.
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

I have chrysler financial.

Comment

Never heard of them demanding a reaff. I would trust your attorney in this case.
        Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
        AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

We are doing this as well. I would trust your attorney's advice. It is in your best interest to not reaffirm if you are underwater on the loan or it has an undesirably high interest rate or payment. We are going to keep paying on it and a few months after the bk is discharged, we plan on surrendering it and getting a different car to help rebuild our credit.

Our lender hasn't even sent us reaffirmation papers and they have had the statement of intention for a few weeks.
          I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
          Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

sleeper, can you just call them and ask them about their policy?

I was reading an article by a San Jose law firm about reaffirmations and in that article they say in their experience Chrysler and Ford are the two who will repo without reaffirmation.

Not sure if the link will paste but this is my attempt (so you can read the article if you want):
            Reaffirmation agreements can be imposed on a debtor in Chapter 7 who wishes to retain personal property securing a loan. Personal property collateral for such a secured loan is most often a vehicle, but it could also be jewelry.

edit: scroll to the bottom the page to get to the relevant part of the article.
            Last edited by debee; 11-19-2010, 03:58 PM.
            There are two secrets for success in life:
            1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

Originally posted by dumpinmydebt View Post
              We are doing this as well. I would trust your attorney's advice. It is in your best interest to not reaffirm if you are underwater on the loan or it has an undesirably high interest rate or payment. We are going to keep paying on it and a few months after the bk is discharged, we plan on surrendering it and getting a different car to help rebuild our credit.
              looking at debee's link i don't think i should trust my lawyer's advice.
              The reason i want to reaffirn is i am not underwater I am actually a little ahead! and my interest rate is way better than i would be able to get now after BK! I understand if i was under there would be no reason to keep but i really am not underwater.

Comment

Originally posted by debee View Post
                sleeper, can you just call them and ask them about their policy?

I was reading an article by a San Jose law firm about reaffirmations and in that article they say in their experience Chrysler and Ford are the two who will repo without reaffirmation.

Not sure if the link will paste but this is my attempt (so you can read the article if you want):

edit: scroll to the bottom the page to get to the relevant part of the article.
                Damn Chrysler financial sucks, thanks for the link i wish i had a loan elsewhere now though!

Comment

Well i definitely agree if Chrysler is one of those jerks (and based on the extra information you provided) then it may be best to reaffirm.
                  I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
                  Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

Don't beleive everything on the internet. call Chrysler and ask or have the lawyer call them.

Comment

I would trust your lawyer and not reaffirm (any smart and good lawyer would advice his/her clients to not reaffirm) unless your lender makes it clear that they will repo if you don't reaffirm, regardless of your payment status. Ford is notorious for doing this and Chrysler probably is too. It's best to call them or have your lawyer call them and find out.
                      Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

on the bankruptcy forms i checked that i would be reaffirming the auto... are you guys telling me i dont have to send this reaffirmation agreement back to wells fargo? its basically the same exact payments im making i got them to lower the interest 1% tho
                        Filed Chapter 7 on 10/26/2010, Meeting 341 on: 1/19/2011 PLEASE DONT DISMISS ME!!!!!

Comment

Links to people with personal experience with Chrysler & reaffirmation:

Comment

I just went to Chrysler Financial's website looking for info (none there) but there is a number (1-800-556-8172) so I called and asked them and the guy I spoke to said they do require reaffirmation agreements & they have a bankruptcy dept. I don't know if the guy was right. Maybe I got the office dummy on the phone. But that's what he told me.

Comment

Originally posted by greg2169 View Post
                              on the bankruptcy forms i checked that i would be reaffirming the auto... are you guys telling me i dont have to send this reaffirmation agreement back to wells fargo? its basically the same exact payments im making i got them to lower the interest 1% tho
                              It depends on the lender. Credit unions usually require reaffirmations as does Ford (for vehicles around 5k and up) and possibly, maybe probably, Chrysler. If you don't reaffirm, they can repo 45 days post-341. But most people are finding that they can state they intend to reaffirm and then never actually sign the agreement.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X