Discharge date and length of the stay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharge date and length of the stay?

What relationship is there between the discharge date and length of the stay? That is, is the stay lifted on day 61 regardless of when discharge is granted, or is it extended until the discharge is filed (which may be a lot longer than 61 days for backlogged courts)?
    3/7/11 -

Originally posted by randian View Post
    What relationship is there between the discharge date and length of the stay? That is, is the stay lifted on day 61 regardless of when discharge is granted, or is it extended until the discharge is filed (which may be a lot longer than 61 days for backlogged courts)?
    the discharge prohibits the attempt from any of the creditors to contact you in relation to collect anything that was discharged. and, actually, any creditor attempting to do so will be in violation of the order of discharge and if charged who be required to pay damages and atty fees to the debtor...or you, in this case.

one usually coincides with the other, unless there was some type of motion previously filed that may lift the stay on a secured creditor...however, doubtful, you'd know that pretty much after they filed the motion.
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
      the discharge prohibits the attempt from any of the creditors to contact you in relation to collect anything that was discharged. and, actually, any creditor attempting to do so will be in violation of the order of discharge and if charged who be required to pay damages and atty fees to the debtor...or you, in this case.
      I was mostly thinking of leases. Absent a motion for relief from stay, if (for example) the discharge isn't filed until 90 days after the 341 does that mean an extra 30 days before an eviction can be started/continued?
      3/7/11 -

Comment

i'm not familiar with eviction laws in texas, however, i think that may be a different question...but i would think it held true for any creditor even those whom you signed your lease with....however, hopefully someone else will chime in that may know better or have more info...
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by randian View Post
          I was mostly thinking of leases. Absent a motion for relief from stay, if (for example) the discharge isn't filed until 90 days after the 341 does that mean an extra 30 days before an eviction can be started/continued?
          I had an eviction from an apartment complex that I included in my Ch 13, but they did file a motion for relief of stay. I had a court date for that, but didn't have to attend because I was already moved before the hearing.
          Filed: 5/22/07; 341 Hearing: 6/27/07;
          Confirmed: 8/13/07; DISCHARGED 4/17/2012

Comment

The Auto stay stays in place until the discharge injunction replaces it. Whenever that might be. So your case could still be open, but discharge granted. In that case you would not have a Stay. This often happens in asset type cases. As such those with liens on property, or places you rent can now act to repo and evict you if you are behind on payments. But they cannot demand money from you.
            3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
            4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
            4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
            6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

Originally posted by DebtEnder View Post
              The Auto stay stays in place until the discharge injunction replaces it. Whenever that might be. So your case could still be open, but discharge granted.
              So the answer to my question is "yes". Thanks.
              3/7/11 -

Comment

Well if you want the short answer. Yes
                3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
                4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
                4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
                6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

Don't forget the other half randian, the discharge injunction means they can't collect $$ from you ever (at least on pre-petition debt)

Tom in Colo
                  Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Originally posted by tcreegan View Post
                    Don't forget the other half randian, the discharge injunction means they can't collect $$ from you ever (at least on pre-petition debt)
                    Yes, that is the proverbial chocolate icing
                    3/7/11 -

Comment

Originally posted by DebtEnder View Post
                      The Auto stay stays in place until the discharge injunction replaces it. Whenever that might be. So your case could still be open, but discharge granted. In that case you would not have a Stay. This often happens in asset type cases. As such those with liens on property, or places you rent can now act to repo and evict you if you are behind on payments. But they cannot demand money from you.
                      What happens if you remain in the apartment/office space after the discharge, can a Landlord start charging rent again if the term of your lease has not expired?
                      ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                      Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

If you remain in the apt/office AFTER YOUR FILING DATE you are responsible for any rent. Your BK filing only applies to rent in a lease up to your filing date that is dischargeble. The stay really doesn't come into play for apartment leases because if you want to stay you have to pay.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X