top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!! Just got notice that my attorney didn't pay the filing fee???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!! Just got notice that my attorney didn't pay the filing fee???

I paid my attorney in full, including the filing fee, and he filed a week ago and I thought everything was OK.

Now today (Christmas Eve!) I open my mail and there's a notice from the bankruptcy court that the petition is incomplete or deficient, because the $299 filing fee was not paid.

My attorney is on vacation for the next week and a half and is not reachable... I knew he would be gone, he told me in advance.

This is a reputable attorney in an established location, who was recommended to me by several people who are well known in town. I have a feeling this was an oversight in the last minute rush to get out of the office in time for the holidays, but my question is, what do I do in the meantime?

The notice says I have seven days to pay the $299. (The notice is dated Friday Dec. 17 but I just got it today, Friday Dec. 24th.)
    But I've already paid my attorney the $299!. If I go to the court on Monday morning Dec. 27, and pay another $299, I will literally not be able to pay my rent on Jan. 1.

Merry Christmas to me. Does anyone know what is the worst that will happen if I DON"T pay the $299 and let this slide and let my attorney deal with it when he comes back on Monday Jan. 3? In other words, should I pay it and be late on my rent? Or should I let my attorney deal with it?

Help help help I 'm so scared and worried! Thanks for any help or advice!

We received the same notice when we filed. I called the attorney that stated he has some sort of "automatic" pay for the filing fees and not to worry it would be taken from his escrow account. It was all fine. We have been discharged for over 4 months now. Maybe your attorney has a similar set up.

Comment

Originally posted by help1234 View Post
      We received the same notice when we filed. I called the attorney that stated he has some sort of "automatic" pay for the filing fees and not to worry it would be taken from his escrow account. It was all fine. We have been discharged for over 4 months now. Maybe your attorney has a similar set up.
      Oh, bless you, bless you for replying. I'm breathing a little easier now.

SHEESH what a way to get Christmas Eve off to a start!!!!!!! I think I neede to open up a bottle of something fast!!!

I am hoping there is a simple explanation for this, and it's not a big deal. Right now it's Christmas Eve and the courts are closed, but when they open on Monday I'm going to call and ask if they can check and see if this is an escrow situation.

Yikes!

Thank you again for replying. If anyone else has insights on this I would appreciate it. Merry holidays to everyone here.

Comment

help1234 is correct. Someone just did not hit the "pay now" button. A reminder will post the next time someone in the office tries to file something. Not a big deal.

Des.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X