New to Bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Bankruptcy

Hi everybody. I'm going to be filing pro se in Arizona and just printed out all the forms I need. WOW! So much paperwork and I'm really dreading looking at my credit report. I am so scared about all this and just want to be free. I know I'm going to be posting a lot of questions as I fill out this paperwork so I hope everyone will be patient with me. I might even ask some stupid questions too. hahaha! I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. I've read a lot of posts on here and it seems like everyone is supportive and I need that at this time. Also, it seems people have had success filing on their own without an attorney. Anyone out there from Arizona who's file pro se? I might want to bug you! haha

Jeana

Just a quick welcome to the board. You have found the right place for every question no matter how "stupid" they may seem to you. Hang around and read as much as you can and you will learn a lot and have found friends and confidantes besides.

Good luck on your BK journey and here's to a better 2011 for all of us!

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Jeana! You will find a lot of support here. On occasion there are comments that are anything but supportive, so I just thought I'd let you know that if it happens, let it roll off your back like water off a duck's. For every one negative person on this board, there are hundreds of positive people willing to help you and give you all the moral support you need.

We filed pro se. It is a LOT of paperwork, but if you are careful, ask when you aren't sure, double check everything, and don't try to hide anything, you won't have any problems.

I know it's scary, but don't let that fear draw your emotions into it too much. The best advice I've seen about that is to treat this as what it is - a business decision. You have to make the best business decisions for yourself and your future.

Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Welcome! When I first decided to go this route back in October, I was so happy to stumble across the forums here. It has been great to be able to post questions, get quick responses, and just read other people's situations (good and bad, sadly).

Again, welcome, and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that I look forward to reading more from you in the future and reading any updates you have!
        Decided on Chapter 7: October 13, 2010; Retained Attorney: October 20, 2010; Filed Chapter 7: February 4, 2011; 341 Meeting: March 23, 2011; Discharged: May 24, 2011

Comment

Welcome. Every member here has felt the same as you. Your best resource for bk is here, that is for sure. I recommend the C7 book, about 25 bucks from Nolo Press. It is excellent and has a pro se chapter. It gives samples of all the forms as well. Downloaded in pdf format.

There is only one stupid question: That which you do not ask. So feel free to ask anything. To quickly educate yourself, read all the stickies on the subject forum, it will answer many questions and educate you very quickly. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

welcome jean!!! and good luck with your filing....this forum has a forum just for pro se filers....there are some really EXCELLENT people here that went it alone...and did great!

and a discussion group area with pro se filers....you may find it helpful ...as well

best of luck to you and welcome to the forum!
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Hi jeanabeana - people here are very helpful an knowledgeable so never be afraid to ask a question. I filed pro se - went smoothly so far. Make sure you pull all 3 credit reports - I could not get one online, had to order it via smail mail...and of course, it has several creditors NOT listed by the other two. I was scared of looking at my credit reports, too.

Another thing I did was order my information from Chexsystems, just to make sure I covered any outstanding banking issues. I had no bounced checks but did have one account that was closed to to overdraft (went negative due to accumulated monthly fees) so I was able to list that account and will be able to have chexsystems take it off my report once my BK is final.
              Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
              New Job 7-2011

Comment

Welcome to the party! Ready, study, learn....... everyone will try to help with the questions that come up in the process.

Good luck to you.
                All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Welcome aboard jeanabeana,

....don't worry about stupid questions, they will balance out all my stupid answers

I second ACH, get the NOLO book (www.nolo.com) Step-by-step guide

Also go to the AZ bankruptcy court website http://www.azb.uscourts.gov The debtor help page is pretty good

Kinda long and half of it won't apply to you, but it is a good idea to read the "local rules" These are where the AZ court does things maybe a little differently than other courts would. Some of it is trivial, like font size, margins, etc. Most won't apply to you at all.

One thing that is important, and I didn't see it when I glanced over the rules, is the format the court clerk is going to want for the creditors matrix (mailing list of creditors) Another thing to ask the court clerk is how they want documents; stapled? paperclips? hole-punched? Always a good idea to keep the court clerks happy! Oh, and when you call the court clerk they cannot give any legal advice, so when asking how-to questions say "I have a procedural question" ...those they can answer!

Akkk! Im just running off at the keyboard....

Glad to have you aboard, keep posting, lots of good folks to help!

Tom in Colo
                  Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

frogger..........ROFL...this is the first time i notice your signature...."You want legal advice? See a lawyer - not a drunk frog"...you are too funny!!!! however, the bad news is....i would trust a cute drunk frog...
                    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

WOW! What a great welcome from each and everyone of you. Thank you so much! Finding this forum has given me so much confidence and I know filing pro se will be a success for me. My fiancee filed bankruptcy and paid an attorney over $1800. It seemed like he did most of the work than the attorney!! haha I promise to ignore all the "haters" out there and keep it positive about filing pro se. Don't worry, you will all see me back here asking questions. =)

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                        frogger..........ROFL...this is the first time i notice your signature...."You want legal advice? See a lawyer - not a drunk frog"...you are too funny!!!! however, the bad news is....i would trust a cute drunk frog...
                        You can trust me. I am "reasonably" honest.
                        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X