Dont be a dummy like me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont be a dummy like me

I waited too long to get myself going filing bankruptcy and recieved a letter today stating i now have a 9800.00 judgement against me.

I guess I new it was coming sooner or later and theres more to come Im in massachusetts and I think theyll be cleaning out my checking account soon hope they leave me some money to live on

Get down there and file!!!!

Comment

The 'dummy' part of your action was ignoring the paperwork that you got from the creditor telling you that you were having a lawsuit filed against you. Then 'dummy part 2' was ignoring a summons from the court telling you to appear in court or respond with an answer.

So, I have to agree. However, I/we being ignorant of so much, we did no better than you. You are only a dummy if you knew and let it go on.

Being new here as you are, you are forgiven . Please use your lawyer and this resource as well. Things will get better.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Also, empty out your bank account before they can. Keep enough in for whatever you have out and DON"T spend the money, eexcept for normal expenses, which you can pay with money orders or bank drafts, just keep it safely at your own house or somewhere safe. You will have to account for it to the trustee, but you don't have to let them take it until he/she decides what should happen to it.

Comment

I agree with discouraged, I'd empty out my bank account right away. I'm in Massachusetts, too. Beginning of last year I was served a couple of summons from 2 different creditors. One wanted to put a lien against my house. I went to the pre-trial phase on one. (I could tell I hadn't a chance fighting some of this stuff on my own.) The only good thing that came out of that, was it scared me into finally picking out an attorney and later filling.

Comment

Originally posted by hopelesslyindeb View Post
            I waited too long to get myself going filing bankruptcy and recieved a letter today stating i now have a 9800.00 judgement against me.

I guess I new it was coming sooner or later and theres more to come Im in massachusetts and I think theyll be cleaning out my checking account soon hope they leave me some money to live on
            Wrong answer. Unless you have more than 9800.00 in your checking account, no money will be left in your account if it is garnished/seized.

They don't care about you having to live. That's your job.

Go and get your money out of the bank a.s.a.p. if you wish to keep it.
            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

How long after a judgement (mine was monday i guess i was notified friday ) will they start taking my money)
              Also is there somewhere online to check how they will be garnishing me like wages bank account levy etc.
              Last edited by hopelesslyindeb; 01-08-2011, 08:56 AM.

Comment

How long after a judgement (mine was monday i guess i was notified friday ) will they start taking my money)
                It depends on how long it takes them to find it, get a garnishment, and get it served to the bank. It will take some time, could be a few days, could be a few weeks.

Any delay on your part will be at your own peril.....
                All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Why are you asking silly questions instead of just going to the bank and getting your money? What does it matter if it's 5 days or 7? If you go get your money TODAY it won't matter. Get a prepaid debit card to use as a debit card, and pay bills with it online or using money orders until you can get it together and file. Then you can get the judgement vacated after your bankruptcy.

Quit kvetching, that hemming and hawing and 'oh no woe is me' is what got you into this. Knock it off and go remove your money from the bank, unless you enjoy having something more to be upset about.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but being a dummy before you knew better is one thing, continuing to do so and complaining about it is just irritating.

Comment

Well my work check goes into bank direct deposit if they put a levy on bank account before filing (which Ill try to see lawyer monday) wont next time my check goes Ill not be able to get the money Right?

Comment

Well my work check goes into bank direct deposit if they put a levy on bank account before filing (which Ill try to see lawyer monday) wont next time my check goes Ill not be able to get the money Right?
                      You need to stop the direct deposit. Have the paper check come to you, then you can cash or deposit it as you see fit. Also, stop any automatic bill pays that you have in place right now, or stopping the direct deposit may cause your bill pays to overdraft your account.
                      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

From my past experience doing collections, garnishments, levies, repos and foreclosures - the creditor would have to know the particulars of the account in order to attach it. In other words unless the creditor has the bank's name, the name the account is under, and the account number there isn't much they can do. As others have suggested, the OP should RUN to the bank and withdraw it as a precaution that the creditor may in fact have the account information already.

Comment

Originally posted by enuffznuff View Post
                          Why are you asking silly questions instead of just going to the bank and getting your money? What does it matter if it's 5 days or 7? If you go get your money TODAY it won't matter. Get a prepaid debit card to use as a debit card, and pay bills with it online or using money orders until you can get it together and file. Then you can get the judgement vacated after your bankruptcy.

Quit kvetching, that hemming and hawing and 'oh no woe is me' is what got you into this. Knock it off and go remove your money from the bank, unless you enjoy having something more to be upset about.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but being a dummy before you knew better is one thing, continuing to do so and complaining about it is just irritating.
                          The majority of people come here looking for support. This is not supportive. Most people are initially paralyzed and emotionally connected to this denial before they go and get help in the form of BK protection; that also has a stigma attached to it. Wow. Lots of people must owe taxes around here because everyone seems to be snippy and crabby in their postings lately.

Hopeless, go get your money out of the bank and stop your direct deposit and all AFT bills from coming out of your account. Garnishments on a judgment are just that. Garnishments. They can only take a certain amount of your income. Here in Minnesota, they can take a 1/3 of every check I get, not sure what Massachusetts' laws are regarding that. You will have to live bank free until you can file. I can tell you from experience that it sucks but it will get better.
                          Filed Chapter 7 October 5, 2010 -341 held Nov. 8, 2010- Report of No Distribution Nov. 12th, 2010- Discharged 1-10-2011 Closed 1-28-2011

Comment

You could go to your county law library in MA, figure out how to file a motion to vacate the default judgment against you, asap. When you bring the motion to the court clerk's office ask for a motion hearing date. File your answer/denial to plaintiff's summons, Starting the suit over will buy some time, probably months.

Comment

Can you close the accounts and go cash so your paycheck isn't taken from you? And then go talk to a Bk lawyer.
                              This isn't legal advice, I'm in the same boat you are.

Talked to lawyer Feb 25,2010
                              Stopped paying / using credit cards march 1st.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X