top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will filling bankcruptcy affect application for citizenship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
    well, i don't get this then...i actually think and this is what is a bit odd for me to understand...but they were even saying they have to go back the uk for all medical care...but remember we are speaking about "older" folks here...

are you on an extended visa then??? can we can them one...i wonder??

they were told they can stay but only 6 months and then have to leave 6 months and they didn't so now they must leave by the 24th....i know they had no interest in becoming citizens ....because of all their uk benefits...so it sounded a bit odd to us as to why they are being forced to leave? we just think there may be more to the story then we are being told...because by the looks of this thread...many people are here and getting credit and not being sent back.
    It sounds like they were here on a "visitor" visa & need an immigration lawyer if they want to try and extend their stay. I'm a permanent resident. So I can work, own property, obtain credit, pay taxes, have health insurance, etc - everything but vote.
    There are two secrets for success in life:
    1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

Originally posted by debee View Post
      It sounds like they were here on a "visitor" visa & need an immigration lawyer if they want to try and extend their stay. I'm a permanent resident. So I can work, own property, obtain credit, pay taxes, have health insurance, etc - everything but vote.
      that's why i don't think we are getting the "whole" story...they own two houses here...and have been in the states since 1990...why now??? they said they did go to an immigration lawyer and were told nothing could be done...and i found that very hard to believe, but, there are others in this area, many for the uk and scottland that are being ...we think maybe targeted..i don't know. i just know i'm really sad they are leaving.

the only thing i'm not sad about is they purchased a nice place in spain that we have an open invite to. however, both of their properties here they are renting out.

now, to become a "permanent" resident did you have to give up your other citizenship?? i think that may be the core of the problem here.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

It depends on the country of origin, tobee. My husband can choose to become a US citizen, but he will keep dual citizenship with his home country. Our child also has the option of gaining citizenship in daddy's country of origin simply because daddy is a citizen there.

Many people come to the US on a visitor or work visa and simply never go back home when the visa expires. They stay under the radar, sometimes for years. All it takes is one even to start the whole deportation ball rolling.
        Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by free2breathe View Post
          It depends on the country of origin, tobee. My husband can choose to become a US citizen, but he will keep dual citizenship with his home country. Our child also has the option of gaining citizenship in daddy's country of origin simply because daddy is a citizen there.

Many people come to the US on a visitor or work visa and simply never go back home when the visa expires. They stay under the radar, sometimes for years. All it takes is one even to start the whole deportation ball rolling.
          well, i do know both of them...first they are not husband and wife..but they are both from england.

i know they mentioned many times if they got ill they would have to hop a plane for medical care...(i remember thinking at their age that's quite risky) but, each to their own.

so, do you think they actually could have purchased two houses, paid taxes, purchased cars, got credit cards....since 1990 and just stayed under the radar...that is truly amazing...and sad. shoot he's an engineer, you'd think they would have prepared themselves??? (not to say all engineers are intelligent, but one would think they at least know the game of life....or chess!).

interesting point that it depends on the country.....especially since the english have always stood by the usa's side no matter what....so one would think england would be one of those countries...i'm guessing not.... i'm just heart broken to lose our good neighbors and friends.
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

now, to become a "permanent" resident did you have to give up your other citizenship??
            No, I am still a citizen of my original country. My kids are dual citizens. As f2b mentioned in her post many countries allow you to retain your original citizenship and still become American. The UK, for instance, allows dual citizenship.
            There are two secrets for success in life:
            1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

Same here.

No, I am still a citizen of my original country. My kids are dual citizens.
              The very same applies to my situation.

Immigration issues can get extremely complicated, and there's a ton of fraud and abuse on all levels.

Millions of people "flying under the radar", sometimes for decades...pretty amazing and in many respects downright annoying, especially if one had to go through all the hurdles of coming here legally with a passport from a "less than preferred" country like myself...

That being said, I'm sure that OP will be just fine. Let's keep our fingers crossed for her and get back on the topic...
              No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

that's why i don't think we are getting the "whole" story...they own two houses here...and have been in the states since 1990...why now??? they said they did go to an immigration lawyer and were told nothing could be done...and i found that very hard to believe, but, there are others in this area, many for the uk and scottland that are being ...we think maybe targeted..i don't know. i just know i'm really sad they are leaving.

the only thing i'm not sad about is they purchased a nice place in spain that we have an open invite to. however, both of their properties here they are renting out.

now, to become a "permanent" resident did you have to give up your other citizenship?? i think that may be the core of the problem here.
                There is no renunciation of citizenship issue for permanent residency.

For citizenship, the U.S. no longer requires that naturalized citizens renounce their original citizenship, but some nations consider acceptance of U.S. citizenship to constitute automatic renunciation of their (that is, the original nation's) citizenship.

-Rich
                Filed Chapter 7: 8/24/2010. Discharged: 12/01/2010
                Member and Exalted Grand Master: American Sarcasm Society (A.S.S.).

Comment

orencio88-
                  Have you checked with an immigration attorney? If filing BK is an issue, maybe it would be better to wait until the immigration thing is squared away. This is a bankruptcy forum, maybe you can find an equivalent for people dealing with immigration issues. If you want to have the ability to stay in the US, its worth getting a valid answer to this question before filing.
                  GOODLUCK
                  Meateater

Comment

No, I am still a citizen of my original country. My kids are dual citizens. As f2b mentioned in her post many countries allow you to retain your original citizenship and still become American. The UK, for instance, allows dual citizenship.
                    i think then since you all know...something MORE has to up here....don't you think.

it was like they came from the uk approx 4 months ago, were stopped my immigration....told they best get an atty since they have to leave...or something like they can stay 6 months then they must leave for 6...or 2 then leave for 2....it sounded and sounds really odd, especially in light of what everyone here is saying...

ahhhhhhh always follow your gut....we didn't think something was right...now i'm going to be wondering what on earth would make someone leave 2 houses they own outright?? and the cars one they can't bring to spain because it doesn't have the right type of lights?? (color and size apparently make a difference there, but i would just convert them).

Comment

Originally posted by RichM View Post
                      There is no renunciation of citizenship issue for permanent residency.

For citizenship, the U.S. no longer requires that naturalized citizens renounce their original citizenship, but some nations consider acceptance of U.S. citizenship to constitute automatic renunciation of their (that is, the original nation's) citizenship.

-Rich
                      so, i think the point here, is they most likely do not what to becomes naturalized....and i'm thinking they had "vistor" visas maybe the entire time???

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X