Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to file myself!

Hi All,
    Been a while since I've been here! I have finally decided to file by myself. I contacted an attorney in the beginning of December. He mailed a packet to me to fill out. I have tried to call everyday since. All the mailboxes are full at his office. I went there today thinking that maybe there would be a note or something....nothing. I'm taking this as a sign to file myself! I really have nothing of value. I live in a mobile home worth around $40K and earn very little money each month.
    I have been here before and people on this site have recommended a book about bankruptcy and how to file. Could someone pass the name of that on to me? Thanks a million!
    P

I have seen other books mentioned, but the one most often recommended here is the Nolo Press book: http://www.nolo.com/products/how-to-...B6FB0F64BF9A19

Try using a coupon code to get a discount: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/nolo.com

ETA: Before you file on your own, you should go for free consults with a couple of BK attorneys whose voicemail boxes are not full. You don't have to tell them you plan to file on your own, but it may be helpful to get specific input on your situation. And, hold on to whatever money you have saved for attorney fees just in case you decide you don't want to do it yourself once you dive into the task.

Good luck!
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Sure seems odd that all the mailboxes are full. Sounds like this guy is sloppy or not a professional at all. If it were illness I could see it but by the past, do you think he will be available when you have a question? I believe you would do better here with your question and it costs nothing. Read all the stickies on 7 and pro se and yes that is the book most recommended, from Nolo. Very good book. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Hi pmac,

Read the NOLO book and get a feel for the process, then go for the free consults with a better focus on questions to ask.

Also want to get familiar w/ your BK court website: http://www.nhb.uscourts.gov/ Under 'filing resources' they have a section on "filing w/o a lawyer" Later in the process you will want to go over the "local rules"

And of course, keep posting here, lots of good folks willing to help out!

Tom in Colo
        Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X