Documents to save after discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Documents to save after discharge?

After searching the forums, I didn't see this topic (although I'm sure it exists), so I thought I'd ask. I'm starting a "burn box" to get rid of statements, etc, for accounts that were discharged during my BK.

Other than all the court docs, paperwork from my attorney and papers for things I'm keeping (car, house) is there anything I should save - just in case (of what, I don't know!)? I started tossing all the credit card statements, etc, in the burn box, but when I got to some unsecured loan paperwork, I stopped to think...

Is there a possibility I'll need anything in the future to prove I had an account, that an account was indeed unsecured, etc? I guess the stuff, over the years, had become such a part of my life, I'm surprisingly having a hard time letting some of it go. I'm a big believer in having all the "proof" I need at my disposal, without having to pay for copy fees or relying on someone else to pull documents (and possibly overlooking something important).

Not sure why I'm feeling this way, I thought it would be so easy to throw it all out. What have others done? There are a lot of things I know I don't need, but could I need any of it?

Thanks.

Discharged 12/14/10

I have the same question. I have carried this box of crap with me for almost 6 years. I think I just need to keep all the bankruptcy paperwork. I would really like to get rid of all the statements, past due notices and nastygrams.
    Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
    New Job 7-2011

Comment

I think we can rid of everything except the actual BK paperwork. All the account numbers are listed on the filing, and everything discharged is listed on the court docs. I think we're good!

Comment

interesting...i was told NEVER ever get rid of your actual bk papers..your discharge...your order of no asset distribution etc...and of course the petition itself.

i took it all and scanned it into my computer and then i also made two or three back disks with the info so i could print it out if needed...i'm making EVERY effort to go "paperless"...LOL!! i sound like the banks now...but anyway...we have a smaller house and i use to have two ROOM fulls of papers...(just kidding)...although it felt that way.

even the IRS doesn't audit like they use to...and i just keep all that stuff for no more than 3 years now...it use to be 7.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Thanks - scanning to disk is a great idea. Sorry for any misunderstanding, we intend to keep all the BK paperwork and have no plans to get rid of that (it's housed with all other important documents). We're just wanting to clear out the clutter and are thinking we don't need to keep any actual account paperwork for discharged accounts (statements, loan agreements, demands for payment, collection notices, etc). But we're asking the question - do we need to keep anything outside of the BK paperwork?

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit View Post
            Thanks - scanning to disk is a great idea. Sorry for any misunderstanding, we intend to keep all the BK paperwork and have no plans to get rid of that (it's housed with all other important documents). We're just wanting to clear out the clutter and are thinking we don't need to keep any actual account paperwork for discharged accounts (statements, loan agreements, demands for payment, collection notices, etc). But we're asking the question - do we need to keep anything outside of the BK paperwork?
            i'm going through that trauma now...LOL!!!! i know it's time to LET go of all the paper work...but i can't ....i am keeping canceled mortgages...agreements...but NO credit card statements....or demands for payments....actually i was thinking about boxing them up and sending them all to CHASE....or for some letters not open...putting on the front return to sender...but i guess i'll have to begin the shredder going ...and we have been discharged for a while!

so i think other than deeds...or such legal documents like that i'm going to trash it all.......tomorrow..
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

It's funny we're all having a hard time letting go of something that was such a point of anguish! I have so much stuff, I'll burn out the shredder motor if I try, hence the "burn box" for the fire pit/place. Best wishes to you both as we move the heck on with our lives and thank you for chiming it!

Comment

I kept my petition and everything that I needed to file, i.e. bank statements, credit card and loan statements, pay stubs, etc, plus all court notifications related to the filing. I only kept credit card statements that I had closest to filing or if there was need to have proof of purchase I kept those statements. I also kept the last loan agreement for a rental house I lost to foreclosure before filing. I shredded all my old credit card statements and any bank statements that were more than a year old. I keep all of my tax returns regardless of age. They don't take much space in any case.
                Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit View Post
                  It's funny we're all having a hard time letting go of something that was such a point of anguish! I have so much stuff, I'll burn out the shredder motor if I try, hence the "burn box" for the fire pit/place. Best wishes to you both as we move the heck on with our lives and thank you for chiming it!
                  LOL!!! we are going to shred and then "burn".....and then celebrate???

and we were JUST talking about it today...we MUST get out of this "mind set"....it's over...it's done.........and it's just about time to close THAT book...i just have a few more "little" things i must get done...just a few..and then it's time to not look back!..........tomorrow..LOL!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BobMango View Post
                    I kept my petition and everything that I needed to file, i.e. bank statements, credit card and loan statements, pay stubs, etc, plus all court notifications related to the filing. I only kept credit card statements that I had closest to filing or if there was need to have proof of purchase I kept those statements. I also kept the last loan agreement for a rental house I lost to foreclosure before filing. I shredded all my old credit card statements and any bank statements that were more than a year old. I keep all of my tax returns regardless of age. They don't take much space in any case.
                    wow...ALL your tax returns???? that really was hard for me to let go of..when we moved i found them from the 1970's and figured it was time to really throw them out! but i had them...and for what i was wondering. i'm not a pack rat about anything else...just paper work and i must say in all my old years there really has only been a handful of times that i actually needed anything...but was certainly glad i had it!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X