top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do the updated exemption laws for New York take effect and where can I find them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do the updated exemption laws for New York take effect and where can I find them

The exemption laws supposedly go into effect today, however I can't find any information about it yet although the law was passed by the governor about a month ago.

I found one site that states January 22, 2011 is the date they take effect.
    Found another site that states January 21, 2011. Hmmm

There is a chart at this site http://longislandbankruptcyblog.com/...cy-exemptions/
    Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

If you have already filed bk the new laws will not apply to your case.

Des.

Comment

I am planning on filing soon because I know things will get rough but am waiting until the right time which willl probably be within the next 2 months. I want to wait until my tax refund so that I can spend it on necessary expenses, in case the trustee gets sticky fingers. The new laws will have gone into go into effect by then. Of all the things that can go wrong, would trustees now try to claim bad faith for people who wait until the new laws go into effect to file bankruptcy? I can imagine they are not too happy with the amount of new exemptions and will fight it more than ever because the law is not in their favor.

Comment

Even if they are po'd that's their tough luck-just as if it would be the filer's if the law went the other way-for example, I'm pretty sure the limits for income for means testing went down in some states last November-if you were close and didn't file and the new allowance was too low so now you didn't qualify it would be your problem. Just have to know the laws and play within them and you are ok.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X