Considering using a paralegal...any advice on what to look for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering using a paralegal...any advice on what to look for

I have looked into filing myself but don't want to miss something or make a mistake and be screwed. Found a paralegal service in the area they will take my case and charge $200.00. I am willing to do this for the reason above and the fact that I need to focus on getting work and not learning how to file BK. Hoping to get some advice on how to determine if I can trust these paralegals and if $200 is too low or too good to be true.

What are some things to look for or ask when considering a paralegal?

I have a fairly simple case. Debt is all credit cards ($65k-$70k). Stopped paying on credit cards around Nov. 2009 and stopped using credit cards Aug-Sept. 2009.

Still current and paying on a car to own (not a lease), I rent, own no property, cashed out a 401K and mutual fund last year ($2k and $5k), collecting unemployment, and currently have 2 credit cards I use (Chevron and Household). Both have very low limits but I still use them and am current.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice...

Please disregard this Post. I just found a number of posts asking about paralegals. Doesn't sound like a good idea to hire a paralegal.
    I am going to file myself using the NOLO book and using this forum as a helpful resource and support team.

Comment

From another thread I posted in:
      Originally posted by justbroke
      Ceveat emptor; any Paralegal who does more than prepare your forms, is practicing law. In my District, the Trustees are specifically asking pro se debtors to fill out a form with excruciating details of how your petition was prepared, and if not by yourself... lots of details of the "help" you received. Many Districts are going after the "practicing" paralegals as providing legal advice is a no-no when fees are accepted.
      That said, there are some excellent paralegals who that use Best Case and other software to prepare your petition and make sure that you have filed all the necessary forms for that District.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thank you. That adds more to consider. I will ask this paralegal if he is using "Best Case" software and if is aware of all the necessary forms for that district.
        Question: If I have all the paperwork saved from creditors, collection agencies, my personal finances, assets, etc., would a paralegal know all the forms needed to file based on my saved documents?

Comment

Originally posted by HRoark0717 View Post
          Question: If I have all the paperwork saved from creditors, collection agencies, my personal finances, assets, etc., would a paralegal know all the forms needed to file based on my saved documents?
          They should, but technically, they aren't supposed to "transpose" information from one source to the bankruptcy forms. The literally are supposed to hand you the correct forms and tell you to fill them out by hand. They then input them into their system.

I wouldn't ask if they had "Best Case", but ask if they use bankruptcy petition software -- since there are several on the market. A paralegal should know the proper forms for your specific District. In the end, though, they are just a document preparer and not an attorney providing any legal advice.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X