1099-c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099-c

My bankruptcy was discharged in September 2010. I received A 1099C for a debt (car) that was included in bankruptcy. How do i handle this? My atty told me my bankruptcy would not affect my tax filing. Was he correct?

There are many posts on this subject. There is no tax consequence for debt discharged in bk. See the form at:

Des.

Comment

Same subject - different question

HI

I know that an employeer has to provide you your W2 by a specific date, which I believe is January 31 - is there a required cut off date for 1099's to be created/mailed?
      Filed Pro Se: 11.12.2010 ~ 341: 1.12.2011 ~ Discharged: 3.9.2011 ~ Officially an Asset Case: 3.30.2011 ~ Last Day to File Asset Claim: 6.28.2011 ~ Trustee Final Report: 8.1.2011 ~ Asset Distribution: 8.31.2011 ~ Case Close: 11.15.2011

Comment

Not sure about the cut off date for a 1099 but I didn't receive this one until 2-4-11.

Comment

The law allows until 2/28 this year to file a 1099
          Last edited by BKParalegal; 02-11-2011, 07:39 PM.
          Disclaimer: I am not an actor on TV, but I play a BK Paralegal in real life. Nothing I say should be construed as legal advice, or really anything but entertainment. Please seek out professional help.

Comment

Originally posted by DesdemonaB View Post
            HI

I know that an employeer has to provide you your W2 by a specific date, which I believe is January 31 - is there a required cut off date for 1099's to be created/mailed?
            My tax preparer (an enrolled agent) says 2/28/11 is the date.
            Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

Hi all,

The IRS guidelines for issuing a 1099-C are so murky and conflicted that Solomon himself wouldn't be able to figure it out.

Originally they were supposed to be issued for the quarter in which the lender took the cancelled debt off the books (off earnings) These were often timed for tax position and a slant on the earnings report.

Used to be only for original creditors, large financial companies. Now the IRS extended the rules to debt collectors. Now the whole thing is even more of a murky mess. There are 8 "trigger" events that should cause a 1099-C to be sent, but lots of companies are still issuing them in the quarter when the debt got taken off earnings.

The Feb 28 deadline is actually lender-to-IRS for paper, electronically the deadline is in April sometime (April 2?) I have no idea when the taxpayers is supposed to get their copy...

Moot point w/ us BK folks, tag it with form 982 and cancel the debt cancel...

Tom in Colo
              Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X