This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Average Costs of BK Ch7

I met with a lawyer today and I was charged $2174 for my $20k CREDIT CARD ONLY debt.

Is it me or is that steep?

How much is the average costs for BK?

The bankuptcy itself is around $300. The variable are the fees that your attorney charges. I paid $1,500 total, ($1200 for attorney fees) for our chapter 7 (will pay more if it's converted to a 13). I think you also have to look at the cost according to where you live. I am sure it is cheaper for me to file than it is for someone in CA. Did you check out other law firms, first?
    Jen
    "...and how is it that bankruptcy is considered an "easy" way out by some???"

Comment

I paid $1500 total in Missouri.

Comment

I am looking at other attorneys. The attorney fee was 1800. I 'm not paying that amount. My max was $1500 to pay for everything.

I live in Chicago (well one of the burbs) so I have to see who is cheaper.

Originally posted by mom2crazies View Post
        The bankuptcy itself is around $300. The variable are the fees that your attorney charges. I paid $1,500 total, ($1200 for attorney fees) for our chapter 7 (will pay more if it's converted to a 13). I think you also have to look at the cost according to where you live. I am sure it is cheaper for me to file than it is for someone in CA. Did you check out other law firms, first?

Comment

Just remember a few things-sometimes you get what you pay for;sometimes not-my guess if the total included the 299 for filing and cost of a credit report and being in Chicago area doesn't seem totally out of whack. Best advice find an attorney you are comfortable with;also make sure you understand what the fee covers-some just help you file and most, things after are extra. So don't be swayed by a couple hundred if you can afford it. In hte long run quality will trump cost.

Comment

I paid approx. $1,500 in Virginia in 2003.

Comment

I paid a total of $1,500 in AR, so $1,200 went to the attorney. So far he's not earned it!
              Filed 1/31/11 341 3/2/11 Waiting for discharge........

Comment

I agree and I thought about that as well. Yes the total included the 299 and 75 credit report pull. His fee was 1800, which I found steep. He was going to do the entire process, etc.

I did speak to another attorney, who does everything and his fee is only $1000 (minus fees) so I'm still thinking about it.

Originally posted by daylate View Post
                Just remember a few things-sometimes you get what you pay for;sometimes not-my guess if the total included the 299 for filing and cost of a credit report and being in Chicago area doesn't seem totally out of whack. Best advice find an attorney you are comfortable with;also make sure you understand what the fee covers-some just help you file and most, things after are extra. So don't be swayed by a couple hundred if you can afford it. In hte long run quality will trump cost.

Comment

We were told $1400-$1800
                  Filed Ch. 7 on 3/9/11
                  341 scheduled 4/18/11
                  DISCHARGED 6/20/11

Comment

You might even want a third opinion. I Chose the 2nd one I saw because he seemed really in tune with my needs. Only went down $50 - $1700 & 50 for a credit report. The 1st one wanted $1800 and didn't mention a credit report so it may have been included. But I felt that company was a bk mill. The one I chose is going to try to get the filing fee waived due to my circumstances (unemployed for 2 years with only a couple of temp jobs). He didn't promise it would happen but didn't waant me paying for it just to return it to me if he could make it happen.

I also felt very comfortable with him and his 'crew'. Everyone was really nice. The first one, the receptionist was snotty, I was kept waiting 45 min - got there early and then he was late, he yawned in the middle of my story and was perturbed I hadn't brought the title for my car, of all things. I felt like a loser by the time I left there, and he wanted 1800 plus filing fee. I found him (the 2nd one - not thne first) when I went to the bk lawyer directory at the top of the page.
                    Last edited by discouraged; 02-15-2011, 04:48 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

we were 1899 in fla (1500 plus filing fee)

Comment

$1895. here
                        filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
                        "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Paid $2000 but I don't recall if that was with or without the court filing fee in Arizona.

Comment

$1225 total in Ohio

Comment

$995 + fees in CA. Was a bankruptcy mill never personally saw attorney -- however, I was okay with that, got my discharge!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X