top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can we keep one credit card and one gas card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can we keep one credit card and one gas card?

I have been continuing to use only one MC credit card and one gas card (both low credit limits), and would like to keep them during and after Chapter 7. Both cards are current on the monthly payments and in good standing.

Questions:
    1. How can I keep these cards? Is this a reaffirming debt situation??

2. If it's not possible to keep these cards, what situation will I face if I have been using these cards and now add them to the list of dischargeable debt??

2. If I am current on these cards and want to keep them, what Schedule do I add them to??

3. Do I add these creditors to the Mailing Matrix??

Any help or feedback would be much appreciated!!

You have to include ALL your debt on your petition. And no, more than likely they will be closed by the creditor once they get notice that you filed. If you have been using them for normal things (gas, food, etc) you should have no problems with the creditors. If either of them have been used for luxury items recently then you could have a problem with them, but that's not certain. Stop using the cards, list them in your bankruptcy, and begin to learn to live your life without credit cards. Good luck to you.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

As soon as those credit cards find out that you filed, they will close the accounts.

And if you have paid them more than $600 in the 90 days prior to filing, the Trustee will go after those preferential payments. Personally, I would stop paying them and figure out how to get by without credit cards.

Comment

No can do. Get you a debit card and you'll never know the difference (except you won't be getting back in debt!)
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Possible to keep open if you pay the balance off before you file -- there is a SLIM chance they will remain open as you would not have to list them because you owe zero. But plan for them to be closed. We had one small card - had a 90.00 balance (before filing) - paid it off before filing, did not list it -- and 13 days from discharge - that card is still open. Your mileage may vary of course depending on who the creditor is.

Comment

I think you should stop using them. From what I've read here any charges within 90 days are assumed to be abuses and you may not have those debts discharged.

BTW, I notice you are posting a lot of threads here and that is what the forum is for, but have you read the NOLO book? I think you can download it for about $25. it is an invaluable resource to get a very good handle on everything about Chap 7 including what goes on what forms, use of credit cards, exemptions, you name it they explain it. If your read the book it will help you plan an overall strategy. Even after reading you'll still have questions but it may save you from getting into situations that can't easily be overcome.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks everyone for offering advice on the questions I had! You are all right about stopping any use of these two cards (which has been very minimal). There's has been no luxury items bought and no payments over $600 paid within the last 90 days so I'm good there. And your right "frogger" on using my debit card as a credit card. Thats how it has to be now...

With the gas prices going up though, I am debating on paying off the Chevron card somehow (balance is about $240) and holding on to that. It would be helpful to have at least a gas card. Right? Aren't they difficult to get after a BK?

And "daylate" I have been using the 2010 NOLO book (checked it out from the local library). You are right...this book is like having a lawyer without the cost...and having this forum is amazing to bounce questions in...

Comment

Originally posted by HRoark0717 View Post
                Thanks everyone for offering advice on the questions I had! You are all right about stopping any use of these two cards (which has been very minimal). There's has been no luxury items bought and no payments over $600 paid within the last 90 days so I'm good there. And your right "frogger" on using my debit card as a credit card. Thats how it has to be now...

With the gas prices going up though, I am debating on paying off the Chevron card somehow (balance is about $240) and holding on to that. It would be helpful to have at least a gas card. Right? Aren't they difficult to get after a BK?

And "daylate" I have been using the 2010 NOLO book (checked it out from the local library). You are right...this book is like having a lawyer without the cost...and having this forum is amazing to bounce questions in...
                I wouldn't bother paying it off, they are just going to cancel the card once you file.
                Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
                I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

The Chevron and Texaco Credit Cards are issued by GE Money Bank ("GEMB"). The GEMB Privacy Policy governs the use of the Chevron and Texaco Credit Cards. This privacy policy is different than the privacy policy of Chevron.

Before you apply, you should be able to answer "Yes" to the following:

My credit history is clear of bankruptcy.

I have NOT been denied credit by GE Money within the last 6 months.

I am at least 18 years old

This is from Chevron's website - my guess would be they close your card once notified via the matrix or the credit bureau.
                  ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                  Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

as the PP's have given excellent responses...i just wanted to add..we or i was under the illusion that those cards paid off with zero balance and not listed would be fine.....no way........as soon as we filed and although we had never been late ever.....they simply closed all the accounts on us.

now...i have heard a tale or two of a few slipping by, but they are far and few between.
                    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

GEMB issues so many cards out there, people just don't believe how deep their stranglehold is in the credit market. From Chevron to Dillards to Lowes, they've got the market.

All of your credit cards will be canceled. If you're filing, don't pay them.
                      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

In my case, I have three cards that were zero balance and remain open so far. All three are retail cards and not GEMB. Two are very old accounts that haven't been used in years. Another retail card was GEMB and was closed right after I filed. The other retail card had a very small balance and I paid off before filing.

That being said, these may be different since they are retail.
                        A fresh start is a beautiful thing. And I'm not an attorney, just opinionated!

Comment

Originally posted by discombob1 View Post
                          In my case, I have three cards that were zero balance and remain open so far. All three are retail cards and not GEMB. Two are very old accounts that haven't been used in years. Another retail card was GEMB and was closed right after I filed. The other retail card had a very small balance and I paid off before filing.

That being said, these may be different since they are retail.
                          Don't be surprised if they get closed once you use them.

Comment

I have no intention of using them. For now, I'm just happy they are adding to my CL ratio! I was actually quite surprised they remained open when I pulled my credit report for Operation Cleanup. I do hope the one stays open, though... good coupons! But I am prepared that they may close the accounts.
                            A fresh start is a beautiful thing. And I'm not an attorney, just opinionated!

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
                              Don't be surprised if they get closed once you use them.

yes, we waited a few months a well....and found most of those types of cards were automatically closed for NON use...not bk....
                              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X