Buying property after chapter 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying property after chapter 7

My husband and I filed for chapter 7, no asset. My mother- in- law wants to help us buy a house, she has money and she wants to loan us the money to pay for a small house or mobile home completely(no mortgage) will that effect our chapter 7? The chapter 7 has not but discharged, in fact we haven't had our 341 yet. When can we buy a house with out any issues with the chapter 7? She is not a US resident so she can not buy the house in her name, but she wants to loan us the money to pay for it, please help.

Wait until after your bankruptcy case is discharged and closed.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

i agree...we just purchased a house...closed on feb 15.....and we waited......i agree with newbie, especially, if the house has to be put in your names, it will become an asset for you......be patient..i understand that's a bit difficult...however, the good news for you, is housing prices are being reported as of yesterday to decrease another 25%....hopefuly allowing you to buy a more for your money...that's on the "bright" side.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Thank you both for the reply!

Comment

Agree with all above - wait. And regarding the drop in home prices Tobee mentioned...I checked some data in my area yesterday and the homes around me dropped between $2K and $3K JUST LAST MONTH. 30 days and a several thousand dollar decrease - very sad for the homeowners but great opportunities for those who can buy.

P.S. You have a very nice MIL - treat her well !
          Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
          New Job 7-2011

Comment

Originally posted by chicagoannie View Post
            Agree with all above - wait. And regarding the drop in home prices Tobee mentioned...I checked some data in my area yesterday and the homes around me dropped between $2K and $3K JUST LAST MONTH. 30 days and a several thousand dollar decrease - very sad for the homeowners but great opportunities for those who can buy.

P.S. You have a very nice MIL - treat her well !
            yes...i would have LOVE a MIL like that...it's so wonderful that she's helping when she can..
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
              yes...i would have LOVE a MIL like that...it's so wonderful that she's helping when she can..
              I do too! And I try to treat her well, thank you all!

Comment

Originally posted by Anyone View Post
                My husband and I filed for chapter 7, no asset. My mother- in- law wants to help us buy a house, she has money and she wants to loan us the money to pay for a small house or mobile home completely(no mortgage) will that effect our chapter 7? The chapter 7 has not but discharged, in fact we haven't had our 341 yet. When can we buy a house with out any issues with the chapter 7? She is not a US resident so she can not buy the house in her name, but she wants to loan us the money to pay for it, please help.
                Are you sure she can't put it in her name? Foreign Nationals buy houses all the time, it's just difficult to get financing on it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X