top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not hearing from Attorney...Am I being unreasonable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not hearing from Attorney...Am I being unreasonable?

It's been quiet now that everything has been submitted. I'm a little annoyed because I haven't heard from my attorney, so I am just assuming it's status quo, but I have sent him some email questions and he hasn't responded. Before everything was filed, he would respond immediately.

Should I just figure that no news is good news? Is it normal for this to happen until your 341 meeting (Ours is March 22nd)?

Should he be contacting me more, or is there really a point since the trustee makes all decisions from here on out?

I figured he would need to give me updates, but maybe there is nothing to update until the 341 meeting?
    Jen
    "...and how is it that bankruptcy is considered an "easy" way out by some???"

once my attorney and i filed after doing all that work beforehand it was quiet for me too. there was nothing to do except wait for the 341. or mail a copy of petition to anyone who sent me something after the file date. after the 341, i had to provide copies of documents the trustee wanted but thats it. now i am just waiting again for the discharge. i think quiet is nice... means nothing is going wrong...ha ha..

Comment

Yep, Quiet here too.

Ours was not filed long ago though. But before the filing, there was lots of emailing and voice mail messages. Our 341 meeting is in early April.

I would think that it being quiet normal since your lawyer is probably on to filing other cases, for other nervous clients, but still it's seem like he should have an assistant that you could talk to. Sometimes it helps to ask for the assistant by name when you call. That's what I did, ( I always write down names and try to talk to the same person each time I call a business) and if it was something that the assistant couldn't answer she'd ask the attorney to call me about it.
      Last edited by butterfly_doll; 03-12-2011, 10:14 AM.

Comment

My Attorney also "went dark" after the filing but he was always available for questions. Sometimes it took a day or two for a response, since he was tied up with lawyer stuff for other clients. I don't think you're being unreasonable in expecting a response. If you don't get answers via email then you might want to consider a phone call or two. Best of luck.
        OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

No news is probably good news at this point. You can always check pacer to see if anything is happening with your case. Of course, we're a ch.13, so the process may be different, but absolutely nothing happened with our case between filing and the 341.
          Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
          0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Same happened here...I guess they handle the pressing things first and let yours slide knowing that you're in a waiting period anyway. I find it odd that attorneys never answer emails when you watch them lined up with their smart phones waiting for hours outside of courtrooms...why can't they just respond with a little something to let you know they've seen the emails? Odd, but who knows.
            Filed 1/31/11 341 3/2/11 Waiting for discharge........

Comment

Basically the same story here. Once the filing was done, I heard nothing until my car reaffirmation came through. This was the one time that I dealt only with the paralegal due to him and his partner not being in the office that day. I went out immediately, signed the paperwork, and then again things 'went dark,' so to speak. I just got the reaffirmation approved, and since then, the only thing I have heard was an e-mail asking me to send them my 2008 tax return information (so they now have my 2008, 2009, and 2010), and my last three bank statements. I sent them and that has been it.

I did have one question for them after my reaffirmation was denied, so I sent an e-mail, and I had a response the next morning saying this is normal, they would file different paperwork, and it 'should' be approved, which it was. So, while things have calmed down in terms of dealing with the attorney and his office, when I HAVE e-mailed them, I literally had a response within hours and at most a day.

I am going to send them another e-mail on Wednesday or Thursday due to my 341 being on the 23rd just to ensure there are no last minute things I need to bring and where I will meet him at the court house, etc. I just assume, like others, that 'no news is good news.' And of course, check Pacer! I found out my reaffirmation was granted from there days before I got the paperwork in the mail.
              Decided on Chapter 7: October 13, 2010; Retained Attorney: October 20, 2010; Filed Chapter 7: February 4, 2011; 341 Meeting: March 23, 2011; Discharged: May 24, 2011

Comment

mom2....yes...it's normal not to hear anything at this point...NO news is GOOD news...

actually...after our 341.......i never even attempted to call the firm and just waited until our discharge and order of no asset distribution came by mail on day 62......we didn't even use pacer...

i know it's nerve racking...but you'll be fine..
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Thanks.

I did hear from him yesterday and was able to ask him a couple of questions. He is going to send me information on what to bring for the trustee. I feel a little better.
                  Jen
                  "...and how is it that bankruptcy is considered an "easy" way out by some???"

Comment

After filing, before 341, after 341 and after discharge, my attorney has always responded via email within 2 days.

Comment

Originally posted by mom2crazies View Post
                      Thanks.

I did hear from him yesterday and was able to ask him a couple of questions. He is going to send me information on what to bring for the trustee. I feel a little better.
                      i'm glad to hear that!! i know it's a hard time, but it will be over soon......i'm sure...
                      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Wishing you all the best of good luck!!!

May I ask - what did you have to provide??

Comment

Originally posted by mom2crazies View Post
                          It's been quiet now that everything has been submitted. I'm a little annoyed because I haven't heard from my attorney, so I am just assuming it's status quo, but I have sent him some email questions and he hasn't responded. Before everything was filed, he would respond immediately.

Should I just figure that no news is good news? Is it normal for this to happen until your 341 meeting (Ours is March 22nd)?

Should he be contacting me more, or is there really a point since the trustee makes all decisions from here on out?

I figured he would need to give me updates, but maybe there is nothing to update until the 341 meeting?
                          I think there should be some type of contract with attorneys that they have to respond to your email with answers within say 3 business days. My attorney answers my emails within minutes, every single time. I can call him directly on his number and he picks up the phone every single time (accept I think twice, whereby his assistant helped me on one and he called me back the next day on the other).

This is probably a good reason to interview several attorneys before hiring one. I did this with 3 attorneys before hiring mine, and I even tested him out with my gf's bk years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
                            I think there should be some type of contract with attorneys that they have to respond to your email with answers within say 3 business days.
                            You can write up any type of contract that you want to have with an attorney, and if they sign and accept it, that's great!

Back in the real world, I have found that most bk attorneys are "last day" attorneys. They don't do anything on a case until the last day, the day of deadline. It appears that that is just the way they conduct business.

I understand the frustration that people have with their attorneys, just as I was frustrated with the one that represented me. But, with that being said, some people have 10,000,000 questions, and they want to ask them each one at a time.

If you find a good attorney, let them do their work, and let them do any worrying that is necessary.
                            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

frogger, I have been guilty of asking a few too many questions of my attorney. He would say, trust me and let me do what I know how to do. This board created that monster in me. ahahahah

But my attorney still took the time to answer my questions. At a minimum, I would expect the attorney to email me back and say, "I will get to your questions by Friday..."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X